The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Sad day At Virginia Tech

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:35 PM

and here is my 2¢....

laws, only stop lawful people.
schools are "Gun Free" zones. its illegal to have on property. (see how well that worked?)

banning guns only denys people the right to protect themselves.

as for the article... i would love to find real stats. not this slanted crap and apples to oranges stuff [i know both sides do it]. (ie) comparing UK's gun crime to NYC homicides. hell 50% of those homicides could have been with a knife. speaking of which. last article i read about the UK was the gun ban helped little with gun crimes, and now knives were the weapon of choice. in fact UK govn't was concidering even kitchen knife regulation.

also lets not forget history.... we (U.S.) would be sending our taxes to the fair old queen, if it weren't for some brave souls with guns.

im sorry, but i refuse to let the govn't deny me my 2nd. i'd rather have a gun in hand, than a cop on the phone. (been there, done that)
Old 04-17-2007, 02:39 PM

Death rates: Here. Not very current but the newest I could find.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=SICKS.OH;139869]also lets not forget history.... we (U.S.) would be sending our taxes to the fair old queen, if it weren't for some brave souls with guns.

I agree guns helped Americans earn their freedom and helped feed many over American history. Guns have also caused alot of pain and sorrow such as the events in Blacksburg, VA on Monday. Guns are only as good/bad as the people behind them.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:55 PM

my 2-cents.

I'm originally from Canada, which has very strict hand-gun laws. Note HAND-guns are strictly enforced. It is nearly impossible to get one. Rifles have to be registered at the local cop-shop. As a result, gun crimes are very rare.

Now, everyone here has freely stated, guns dont kill people, it's the idiot holding it. Well, if the idiot holding it is unable to GET a gun, then he can't go on a shooting spree. Yes? If ALL guns are strictly limited, then the chance of some moron 'snapping' and going into the classroom and shooting it up are greatly reduced.

Do violent crimes happen in Canada? Sure. But, ironically, most of those violent crimes usually are stabbings. Why? Because that's the only weapon that is freely available. Do you think if those people who stab someone would shoot them if they had access to a gun? Absolutely. But, the good thing is, that it isn't, so when they DO snap, there is usually only 1 vicitim, as opposed to 5 or 10 or 30 because the only weapon they have is a knife.

So, the moral of the story is nut-jobs will use the weapon that is most-available to them.

As far as the 2nd amendment, it was put in place to allow the citizenry to defend our nation from foreign invaders (this was before we had an actual army to fight the British) and to overthrow our government by force. So, we have our 9mm hand guns and our hunting rifles to allow us the right to overthrow our government if necessary. Well, in case you haven't looked around lately the government has the Army, Navy, AF and Marines, with helicopters and machine guns and bombs. Do you think we citizens stand a chance against that? Do you think the armed forces are going to disobey the Commander in Chief if he decides to declare us citizens as terrorists or rebels? Nope. Do we need the citizenry to defend our nation against Canadian or Mexican invaders? Uhhh, not so much. It's the most ridiculous amendment in the constitution simply because technology has made it absolutely useless.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Banned

People will still get guns. Just because drugs are illegal that means people don't have access to them or do them right? How long have the various drugs been illegal in the US and has that seem to have stopped anything? If anything the drug problem has gotten worse over the years. Kind of like the governments attempt at prohibition that failed horribly. Did that stop alcohol? Where there's a will there's a way so banning guns just wouldn't work. It would just push everything black market and add to the crime rates. Hell you can go into any army surplus store and buy books that tell you how to make guns out of pipes, end caps, and nails that even tell you what diameter of pipe you need for what caliber of bullet. Not to mention the ones that tell you how to make explosives and other deadly stuff. Gun laws aren't the answer to crime.

Last edited by captain howdy; 04-17-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:13 PM

Alot of ppl have disturbing writings, they are called Horror Genre books and movies..... Let's investigate Stephan King, Dean Koontz, and other writers of the Macabre.....
Old 04-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JimZ_HHR
Alot of ppl have disturbing writings, they are called Horror Genre books and movies..... Let's investigate Stephan King, Dean Koontz, and other writers of the Macabre.....
I agree. I used to draw a lot of disturbing stuff back in school and when I was going to be a tattoo artist but I never would think of going on a shooting spree. I have had people tell me some of my drawing were the most vile, evil, and disgusting things that they had seen. Sometimes you can't judge a person by their art.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by SICKS.OH
and here is my 2¢....

laws, only stop lawful people.
schools are "Gun Free" zones. its illegal to have on property. (see how well that worked?)

banning guns only denys people the right to protect themselves.

as for the article... i would love to find real stats. not this slanted crap and apples to oranges stuff [i know both sides do it]. (ie) comparing UK's gun crime to NYC homicides. hell 50% of those homicides could have been with a knife. speaking of which. last article i read about the UK was the gun ban helped little with gun crimes, and now knives were the weapon of choice. in fact UK govn't was concidering even kitchen knife regulation.

also lets not forget history.... we (U.S.) would be sending our taxes to the fair old queen, if it weren't for some brave souls with guns.

im sorry, but i refuse to let the govn't deny me my 2nd. i'd rather have a gun in hand, than a cop on the phone. (been there, done that)

Could not have said it better...my heart goes out to those students and their families....I still cannot get over the fact that he was able to kill 30 people with a handgun..... I thought for sure that an AK or a AR-15 was involved with that number of fatalities and 1 gunman

That 75 year old teacher is a hero for blocking the door long enough to let some of his students get out through the windows..

I found this very interesting...I found this info on another website and if true I think will haunt this guy

A Virginia Tech official in 2006 praised the defeat of a proposal to allow students with state-issued concealed handgun permits to carry their handguns on college campuses in Virginia. At least 20 unarmed students were killed on the VA Tech campus Monday morning by a single gunman.

"I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions," Hincker said on Jan. 31, 2006, "because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

I know it is a well worn out statement but things may have been different if just one of those students was armed.......we might have had a different ending

Goose
Old 04-17-2007, 05:52 PM

can this possibly be a BLACK OP designed by the gubment?
could this have been prevented? 2 killed early in the morning, no warnings, bout 2 hrs later, then the other 30 killed? only ppl then realized that there was something happening on campus?

sad that innocent students died, but some on, you cant possibly swallow some of the story?

virginia tech banned guns on campus? hmm..now gun control freaks can flood the media with thier anti-gun progoganda...there was another shooting out there in which a massacre like this was prevented by another student with a gun who had a permit...good thing or bad? preventable or not?

too bad that bright minds in that engineering dept got killed; but i think virginia tech has some blood on thier hands..
Old 04-17-2007, 06:32 PM

We all know you can't protect everyone at all times. But, as a parent of two college students, I had to thank God my boys were safe. Here we usually worry that they're keeping up their grades, eating right, getting enough sleep, etc. Would we even consider having to protect them from a crazed killer?

I've been to too many college campuses to know how difficult it would be to "lock down" all the buildings. Many sit right in the middle of towns and there is no distinction on where the college campus ends and the town begins. The amish couldn't even protect their children from a gun-wielding nut and they are one of the most isolated communities of all.

After hearing stories about the victims on the evening news, you can only question why God would call home those with such promising futures. Maybe someday we'll all figure it out. In the meantime, we'll pray for the victims and their families!

Quick Reply: Sad day At Virginia Tech