The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Site censorship.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:30 PM

Site censorship.

The censorship on this site is over the top. If someone asks a question be careful how you answer it. Talk about a place that sells a product and offers to help the HHR owners and unless they have paid a fee to the site owner you will get slapped down.

I have had several posts edited or deleted because I answered another posters question about where I bought something. I get nothing for answering a question, I have tried to answer and help people when I can and even tried to point out errors in the site in an effort to try and make this a better place.

Oh well, I'll probably get banned for telling my side of the story but at least I attempted to tell it....
Old 08-25-2008, 05:55 PM

I've been on the site almost 2 1/2 years and have never encountered what you describe. Now my buddy Captain Howdy, that's a different story.......
Could it be a case of not so much what you say but how you say it? I must say, in all my time here, they've put up with my eloquence as well as my verbosity - not sure what exactly you're referring to?

In all seriousness, there are bigger things in life to worry about........
Old 08-25-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by rommer
The censorship on this site is over the top. If someone asks a question be careful how you answer it. Talk about a place that sells a product and offers to help the HHR owners and unless they have paid a fee to the site owner you will get slapped down.

I have had several posts edited or deleted because I answered another posters question about where I bought something. I get nothing for answering a question, I have tried to answer and help people when I can and even tried to point out errors in the site in an effort to try and make this a better place.

Oh well, I'll probably get banned for telling my side of the story but at least I attempted to tell it....
Sorry to hear, I am new to the site, but definitely not new to forums, and I have noticed the same thing. I guess you can't complain, you are on someone else's site, but I think if you want to keep it running for long and have very many members some things really need to be addressed and changed, especially the level of censorship on the forums. I am on many other forums, and some are worse than others, but I think so far from what I have seen this has been the worst. I think it has a lot to do with the moderators and administrators, and as the HHR, much like the Vibe and Matrix, is geared a lot towards older drivers, and a lot of them don't seem to associate well with the majority of younger drivers who come on to these forums to talk about things like racing, modding, etc... I think a lot of it also has to do with todays society thinking they can tell everyone else what they can/can't do, and the the situation of this site, just staying out of the threads they don't care for or have interest in.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:19 PM

My only goal is to try and help other HHR owners have fun and enjoy their rides. I moderate on several boating forums plus run a boating forum of my own. I know how tough a moderators job can be and I do respect that. But there needs to be understanding on both sides of an issue to avoid bad feelings!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:29 PM

Not sure, but I believe the vendors pay to support this site and get their name mentioned. No reason they shouldn't get preferential treatment. Whether you like it or not you are obliged to follow it. The admins have no choice to edit you, or they cannot justify charging a fee to the vendors, and thus have the funds to keep this site going.
I don't see how that's hard to understand?

You can use the Private Messaging to say whatever it is you can't say publicly, right?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by wxman
Not sure, but I believe the vendors pay to support this site and get their name mentioned. No reason they shouldn't get preferential treatment. Whether you like it or not you are obliged to follow it. The admins have no choice to edit you, or they cannot justify charging a fee to the vendors, and thus have the funds to keep this site going.
I don't see how that's hard to understand?

You can use the Private Messaging to say whatever it is you can't say publicly, right?

True, but why wouldn't you be able to post where you bought something? Sure, companies pay to have their sites advertised and highlighted on the forum, but that doesn't bar conversation of any other company!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 PM

Just to help to clarify, accroding top the rules:

"No free advertisements - If you are the owner or employee of a company, don't mention it, or put links and phone numbers in posts or signatures. Only Supporting Vendors can use links and numbers in signatures and posts.
If you are developing a product, you may talk about it until you have it ready and/or you are taking orders for the product. At that point you must become a Supporting Vendor to be able to promote your products."

This means people can talk about a company and their product as long as they do not work for that company. It is when people link to products and have self-interest is when they get edited. Also another thing is that:

"Conflicts – All conflicts should be resolved in private via PM, email, or IM. Do not drag your personal conflicts on the forums."

So you should contact nicely the moderator or admin that edited or delete your posts to get their understanding on why they deleted/edited your post instead of evyrone throwing their two cents in like I am doing. And alot of the censorship and editing is coming from the site rules, past issues, and the members notify moderators when they think there is an issue.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by damronjr
but that doesn't bar conversation of any other company!
Not of non-members.

~~~~~
Active members seeking advertising and gaining profit from this site need to become Supporting Vendors to promote their products. This is stated in the site guidelines and is agreed to when signing up.

The proper thing to do before buying product from a company 'trying' to sell here is to report the post and refuse to purchase until their Supporting Vendor status is granted.

Locked or Deleted Posts - When a post is locked or deleted, it is for a reason. Do not make another post in continuation of the locked or deleted posts or your account is subject to being suspended. Do not make a new post demanding explanation of why a post was locked or deleted. If you would like explanation of a closed or deleted post, respectfully e-mail the moderators.

This topic is in admin discussion.

Last edited by SindyDix; 08-25-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added content