The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: How much over the Speed Limit do you drive?
Exactly the Speed Limit
4.76%
1-4 mph over
11.90%
5 mph over
23.81%
6-9 mph over
28.57%
10 mph over
14.29%
11-15 mph over
9.52%
16-20 mph over
0%
21-25 mph over
2.38%
More than 25 mph over
2.38%
I own an SS, I top it out
2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Speed Limit Poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:59 AM

Smile Speed Limit Poll

I ask this question because I recently moved and have noticed quite a difference in the way people drive. I am originally from Green Bay, WI where people driving the speed limit are the exception, and people driving 5 mph over are the norm. The cops drive 5 mph over, the city bus drivers go 5 mph over, basically everyone does. On the highway in Green Bay, many people seem to drive 10 mph over the speed limit, which I don't do because I feel like that's asking for it. I have always grown up driving 5 mph over, and this is just normal for me and I don't see anything wrong with it. I wouldn't call myself a lead foot by any means. I've never been pulled over for going 5 mph over the speed, and I doubt if I ever will.

But I recently moved to Superior, WI, 6 hours northwest of Green Bay. The way people drive is a night-and-day difference. Up here, it seems like there is a 50/50 split of people who drive exactly the speed limit vs. people who drive 5 mph over the speed limit. I have never seen so many people who drive exactly the speed limit. To me, 5 mph over seems "just right" but the speed limit seems a little slow. So, naturally I drive 5 mph over the speed limit because that's what I'm used to and what I've done ever since I started driving. I have come to tolerate all the people who drive exactly the speed limit, but I don't exactly like it. I still 5 mph over the speed limit here when I can, and I've never been pulled over for it here either. I've passed by many cops going 5 mph over, and no one's ever given me any grief about it. I just can't believe how slow people drive up here. If you go the speed limit in Green Bay, you usually have people riding your ass, and racing past giving you the one-finger salute.

I've heard that if you 5 mph over in California, you'll probably get pulled over. Funny, I've always thought people drive so fast in CA. I've also heard that in Arizona, they have zero-tolerance for anything over the speed limit. Do you live in a state where they'll give you grief for driving anything over the speed limit? What's it like where you live?

So, here's your friendly ChevyHHR.net Speed Limit Poll:

Do you drive...
a. exactly the speed limit
b. 1-4 mph over
c. 5 mph over
d. 6-9 mph over
e. 10 mph over
f. 11-15 mph over
g. 16-20 mph over
h. 21-25 mph over
i. more than 25 mph over
j. I own an SS, I top it out

Have fun!

Last edited by goetylsd; 05-03-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 AM
jx3

All of the above, w/ the exception of the last option.

It seems that my speed has slowed in relation to getting older.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:27 AM
geg

In the U.S., each state has its own law. The laws of different states sometimes differ.
In Russia, one law. Despite the fact that Russia is a huge country and a lot of "states".
Speed ​​limits in Russia:
In cities and towns - 60 km / h (37.4 miles / h);
On the highway - 90 km / h (56.1 miles / h);
There are more signs for local restrictions.
If you exceed the limit of less than 40 km / h (24.9 miles / h) - fine. If you exceed the limit over 40 km / h - driving ban for the period from 2 months to 1 year.
I usually move around the city very quickly. I - a hardened offender, sometimes exceeding the limit by 2 times. But I do it very carefully. Thus, in order not to disturb the neighbors and not to anger the police.
Ekaterinburg is the ability to move quickly - good straight roads, minimum polices. But the differences in different Russian cities.
For example, in Kazan (I returned from that city a few days ago) can not move quickly. Disgusting state of the roads. Police surveillance cameras on every street corner. In winter, bad clean snow. Kazan drivers can not get the pleasure of driving fast. Moreover - in Kazan is very popular offroad vehicles, regular car is easy to kill at Kazan holed roads.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:21 AM

I plead the "Fifth"! not gonna incriminate myself!!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Highway driving, usually 5 over. It's rare you would get pulled over for that (does happen though).
Old 05-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

oops, I own a SS, never go the speed limit ,..... Officer
Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 AM

"9 yer fine, 10 yer mine" is what I've heard some officers say. Try to keep it around 7-8 over.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 AM

Around here, you're usually safe going 5 over. Sometimes 10, but it depends on the cop. Mostly, I'd suggest sticking to 5.

But you don't have under the speed limit...
Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
I plead the "Fifth"! not gonna incriminate myself!!
Oh, that's right! You live in this town... Sorry, but you really notice the difference in driving in Green Bay vs. Superior. I don't know, maybe because Superior is a little smaller town. I not a speed demon, just your friend 5-mph-over-the-limit cruiser.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by SmootHHR
"9 yer fine, 10 yer mine" is what I've heard some officers say. Try to keep it around 7-8 over.
LOL, cops say that? My only ticket I've ever received was for 10 mph over the speed limit. I normally go 5 mph over. I have gone 10 mph over a few times, but I try not to make a habit of it. I think with most cops that's usually when you start becoming "eligible" for a ticket.

Quick Reply: Speed Limit Poll