The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Taxed by the mile???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM

Taxed by the mile???

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...rs-by-the-mile

Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile
By Pete Kasperowicz - 05/05/11 07:45 AM ET

The Obama administration has floated a transportation authorization bill that would require the study and implementation of a plan to tax automobile drivers based on how many miles they drive.

The plan is a part of the administration's "Transportation Opportunities Act," an undated draft of which was obtained this week by Transportation Weekly.

This follows a March Congressional Budget Office report that supported the idea of taxing drivers based on miles driven.

Among other things, CBO suggested that a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax could be tracked by installing electronic equipment on each car to determine how many miles were driven; payment could take place electronically at filling stations.

The CBO report was requested by Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad (D-ND), who has proposed taxing cars by the mile as a way to increase federal highway revenues.

Obama's proposal seems to follow up on that idea in section 2218 of the draft bill. That section would create, within the Federal Highway Administration, a Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office. It would be tasked with creating a "study framework that defines the functionality of a mileage-based user fee system and other systems."

The administration seems to be aware of the need to prepare the public for what would likely be a controversial change to the way highway funds are collected. For example, the office is called on to serve a public relations function, as the draft says it should "increase public awareness regarding the need for an alternative funding source for surface transportation programs and provide information on possible approaches."

The draft bill says the "study framework" for the project and a public awareness communications plan should be established within two years of creating the office, and that field tests should begin within four years.

The office would be required to consider four factors in field trials: the capability of states to enforce payment, the reliability of technology, administrative costs, and "user acceptance." The draft does not specify where field trials should begin.

The new office would be funded a total of $200 million through FY 2017 for the project.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:16 AM
geg

Do not be afraid
change the mileage on the car - has long been known and inexpensive technology.
mileage my HHR was changed in Russia for a couple of hours. Despite the fact that the HHR for Russia - exotic.
introduce a law - and the black areas of American cities earn a new service. If you can not - take Russian experience.

Give my regards to Obama ...
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

Old 05-05-2011, 10:21 AM

I don't think so... Just another way for the government to take everyone's money. Like we don't already pay them enough as it is.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:24 AM

There would be devices to hack whatever device they put into vehicles before the first one every hit the street.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by sincfiles
There would be devices to hack whatever device they put into vehicles before the first one every hit the street.
I'm sure, but if you're caught, its tax evasion.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:47 AM

I read about this at another location. Some of this is stemmed from the new electric cars out there. They don't buy gas, so they are not paying the taxes to use the roads.

It's how they implement this is gonna be the big question.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:07 PM

I don't see how this will even apply to electric vehicles.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Isn't that the idea behind a gas tax? Get an electric car, good for the environment, no tax, Isn't that a good incentive?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by diskullman
Isn't that the idea behind a gas tax? Get an electric car, good for the environment, no tax, Isn't that a good incentive?
Not good if they are losing revenue, especially considering all the budget problems. Not saying I want more/higher taxes, but I see the reasoning.

Quick Reply: Taxed by the mile???