The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Texting & Driving is now Illegal in Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:55 PM

Texting & Driving is now Illegal in Wisconsin

As of yesterday, December 1st, texting and driving is now illegal in Wisconsin. It is primary offense, a police officer can pull you over for it. The fine is about $20-$400 for the first offense, and it costs you 4 points on your license. Definitely enough to make your insurance go up! I completely agree with the new law. Texting is very distracting and dangerous when you do it behind the wheel. There have been many times I have seen another driver texting, and you see how compromised their driving is. Weaving back and forth on the road, nearly forgetting to stop at a red light, driving 5-10 mph under the speed limit. They definitely put others at risk. I am 18, and I know a lot of people my age do it, but I will not. I personally feel very strongly about it. I will pull over to text if I need to do it that bad, or I will call someone and talk, but I will not text and drive. Lately, I have even seen truck drivers doing it, which blows my mind. A truck driver texting is a recipe for disaster. At that point, it's like he's driving a killing machine with his eyes closed. I can not understand why a truck driver would ever want to do that, they're basically putting their job in limbo. Not to mention there was a federal ban put in place back in January of this year banning any commercial driver (bus or truck) from texting and driving. So, if you're from a state where it is still legal and you're ever driving through Wisconsin, or if you're from Wisconsin and didn't know about the new law, now you know! I realize many of the people here on the forum are probably not the texting-type anyway. Hope everyone here is doing well, and drive safe!

Last edited by goetylsd; 12-05-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Should be illegal in ALL states.. even if they are in a VW beetle..
Old 12-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Deceased

Great job Wisconsin!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:47 AM

Thank you goetylsd for not texting while driving. More kids (sorry-I'm much older than you) as well as many adults should get out of this nasty unsafe habit. There is no message that urgent that needs to be addressed while you are driving a weapon. I point out people driving, texting, and talking on the phone without hands free (the hands free accessories are sooo cheap now-why can't people follow the law?) to my daughters while we are out and about and they see how peoples driving becomes impaired. My youngest even made the comment that the person was driving like they were drunk.

So thank you once again goetylsd for doing whats right-especially at your age. It is refreshing to see someone take responsability-even though it's something minor, it could end up deadly.

And to those of you in my age bracket who talk/text when driving-how did you ever live without your cell in the 80's? Must have been painful to not BS on a phone back then...
Old 12-03-2010, 05:59 AM

They made it illegial here in GA a few months back. But I still see people doing it. COing to work today, idiot next to me at a light was punching away. Light turned green and he just sat there....

Originally Posted by sleeper
Should be illegal in ALL states.. even if they are in a VW beetle..
Agreed.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Being in california and our budget sucks, you'd think this would be an easy revenue ticket for officers to enforce...that is if this was law in california. they only outlawed cell phone use without a blue tooth as illegal. Hopefully this law becomes law of the land, not just state to state.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Founding Member

Old 12-03-2010, 03:12 PM

We have a ban in BC against using ANY handheld device while driving. This includes cell phones and texting. You can use a cell only if it is handsfree.

We also now have the strongest laws against drinking and driving and excessive speeding in Canada.

The old limit of .08 percent would get you a DUI. Now, here's straight from their press release:

===========

Penalties for all impaired drivers will increase. For example, a driver who provides a breath sample in the “fail” range on a roadside screening device (above 0.08 per cent BAC) will face:

Thus, one “fail” on a roadside screening device will cost a driver about $3,750 before they can legally operate a vehicle again, following any related suspension.
          The driver may also face an impaired driving charge under the Criminal Code of Canada.

A driver who provides a breath sample in the “warn” range on a roadside screening device (between 0.05 and 0.08 per cent BAC) for the first time in a five-year period will face:

Thus, a driver’s first “warn” will cost about $600.

===============

Now, this is good for keeping repeat offenders off the roads, yes. However, you can no longer realistically go to a restaurant, or pub, and have a pint of beer with your meal. You CAN, but don't drive afterwards. An average male who consumes a pint in under 60 minutes will blow over .05 but below .08. That's a three day driving ban, three day inpoundment and $600 in fee's if you get pulled over.

Realize what this is doing to the pubs and restaurants, sports bars etc. I haven't had a drink out at dinner with my lady since the law has come into effect. It's too risky for me as I drive for a living. Hell, I won't have more than one drink while watching a three hour hockey game, because of the fear of driving 8 blocks home and getting pulled over. It's insanity. (I do not condone drinking and driving, but why can't we have a beer with dinner!? It's ridiculous).
                Old 12-03-2010, 03:18 PM

Sorry that last post was a bit off-topic. But back to texting and driving. Here are the new laws in BC this year that prohibit texting and driving:

What’s permitted under the new law?
                Only hands-free cell phones and devices that require one touch to activate are permitted. Note: A full ban applies to drivers in the Graduated Licensing Program (GLP) who are not permitted to use hands-free cell phones.

What’s banned?
                Under the new law, a driver cannot use a handheld electronic communication device which includes handheld cell phones, PDAs and other electronic handheld devices (i.e., MP3 players, GPS Navigation Systems, etc.). Also, a driver cannot send or receive text messages or electronic e-mail on any type of electronic device.

What are the fines and penalties?
                The fine amount is $167. However, drivers caught texting or emailing will receive three penalty points in addition to the fine. GLP drivers will receive the $167 fine and three penalty points for any violation of this legislation.
                Old 12-03-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by snoopyspaz
                Being in california and our budget sucks, you'd think this would be an easy revenue ticket for officers to enforce...that is if this was law in california. they only outlawed cell phone use without a blue tooth as illegal. Hopefully this law becomes law of the land, not just state to state.
                Where have you been? - It is illegal in Cali to text while driving since January 2009

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/cellularphonelaws/

The problem is try to effectively enforce it. Even though cellphone use w/o handsfree device and texting are illegal, the dip wads still continue to do it.

Quick Reply: Texting & Driving is now Illegal in Wisconsin