The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Think I lost a friend, last Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Think I lost a friend, last Sunday

So this friend (who's a retired LEO) visits with his son. They knew, previously, that I have 2 garages....one attached to the house and a "stand alone" that is my shop and repair area. He requested permission to store his son's 2 ATV's, trailer, boat and trailer and camping trailer in the stand alone for about 3-6 months. It appears the son, who is mid thirty's in age, married and NOT WORKING, is a fatality of our nations financial turmoil. He was laid off from his construction job and the wife is about to be laid off from her secretarial job. In order to conceal true ownership of their toys, they moved "legal" position to relatives but wish to retain them for their own personal amusement. Thus they wished to store them in my garage. They are in the process of filing for bancruptcy (and obviously hiding assets).

I declined indicating not wishing to be involved in a fraud regarding a legal proceding and besides I don't have room for storing those items because of some of my recent acqisitions (which was shown). My friend tried to convince me to store SOME of the items and I still declined. When they left, I could see he was mad and mumbled something about "being a great friend".

Thinking about how the majority of members have responded to discussions regarding our countrys problems, I believe I did the correct thing.....especially legally. So what is your opinion.....would you have accepted some risk. I do admit, having some apprehension that I did not help. But I do wonder about my friends ethics....remember he's a retired LEO.

EXTRA INFO.......the son and wife are living on the edge of life. Probably over extended based on previous discussion with my friend. They saved nothing, have no kids, and bought a lot of toys and extravagance items. The couple had a gross income of about $80,000-$90,000....bought a large number of items on credit and purchased a home in the neighborhood of $500,000 (after rereading my words here, I can understand HOW they ARE in trouble). The loss of employment by one of the couple would surely provide problems in meeting the life style.

Much more than this transpired (no harse words...other than what has been expressed about) but I think I limited my post to the facts.

So what would you have done?? I do not wish to lose my friend but I don't want to be an accessory to this fraud OR provide a hardship to myself regarding limiting the space in the garage.

Thanks....
Old 03-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Founding Member

I think you made the correct decision.

It's too bad if the friendship ends because your friend is upset that you did want to get involved in this web he is spinning.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:52 PM

"friend"?

A "friend" that insists on putting you into such an uncomfortable position, isn't much of a friend. More like a bully. I say good riddance. Did he offer to pay rent? Did he offer any compensation? Real friendship goes both ways. You definately did the right thing. Your garage is for your use, not for him to take advantage of. If you lost a friend, it isn't much of a loss.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 PM

Tough choice.

How far would this friend go you? If they have your back in a time of great need, then maybe reconsider. But given the fact that they are not willing to give up "wants" to satisfy needs, let them figure out where to store all their toys. Hell, yours and mine tax dollars are probably going to help get them out of their lavish pickle, because we choose to live within our means.

Steve
Old 03-04-2009, 03:25 PM

He could have always gotten a storage room to store the stuff and not involved you in his attempted fraud.

I say you did the right thing, he's not much of a friend.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
they moved "legal" position to relatives

EXTRA INFO The couple had a gross income of about $80,000-$90,000....bought a large number of items on credit and purchased a home in the neighborhood of $500,000
What`s the problem if the items are not in there name

Is it that easy in the U.S. to buy a house for $500,000 on that income and still get credit on top.No wonder real estate has gone down the drain the U.S. banks were too carefree with loans.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:00 PM

You know you made the right decision. Don't let the facts get in the way. You would be a participant in fraud by knowly storing the items. Those items belong to the original owner - be it the bank, financing company, etc. It is no different than someone walking into someone's house and stealing the items. That's a clear example that everyone would agree is wrong. This is the same thing, but just a different twist. Good for you - you took the high road and made the tough decision!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:35 PM

I also believe you made the right decision. It's not an easy one given there is possibly a friendship at stake, but at the end of the day, it's really not your problem they have lived beyond their means and now there is a price to pay. I hope when this is over, your friend will realize what he is asking is more than most people would do, no matter how good of a friend they are. Just the legal side alone would make me very reluctant to store the items, and that's not to mention the space issue. Rest assured you have done the right thing, legally and morally. Unfortunately the right thing is not always the easy way. Good luck to you and I hope everything works out.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Banned

Snoop,

No friend is worth state or federal time. I have to remind many of my clients of that on a daily basis. Helping your friend hide assets from a bankruptcy court is a federal crime. Helping your friend hide assets from secured creditors is a state crime in EVERY jurisdiction and may also trigger federal charges if carried across state lines. Felony stealing, conspiracy, and fraud are not worth ANY friendship. If he was willing to ask you to risk everything you've worked your whole life to get just to save a few toys his kids never really owned, he's the bad friend in this relationship.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 PM

i think you did the right thing morally

i am not a lawyer. i have turned down a few people that think i will offer them free storage. i am sorry to hear about them losing their jobs. there are plenty of jobs in my city and surrounding cities. it sounds like it may be the same problem many people have , they wish to live beond their means. i also believe this is part of the problem with the economy. i have had to sell many of my toys , even when the economy was good. i blamed no one but myself.

Quick Reply: Think I lost a friend, last Sunday