The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:25 PM

For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada...

Just found this out today. Being in Tucson, AZ and only an hour from mexico friends and family used to go down south of the border for shopping and fun! You can drink legally if you're under 21! However now there is news that in order to get INTO or back out of Mecixo you need a passport!!!!

The old way to get in for those that have never been was this: Drive down to Nogales (Nogie) and park near the border in any number of lots. Sometimes the McDonalds. Walk to the border, pass through a revolving gate that only spun one-way and was outside the main building. and be greeted by TONS of people that could hardly speak english that would call you friend and try to get you to buy blankets, glassware, and anything your little heart would desire. When done you could walk into the border building, claim to be american, show ID and be on your merry. Not sure how this passport thing will fair but its a necessity none the less now! Looks like I'll be going for my app soon!

just FYI... this may or may-not include Canada.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:43 PM

Just slowing down the influx of all those illegal immigrants (yeah, right). And don't forget those Middle Eastern looking folks who are probably terrorists (too bad they don't give the money they spend on all of this to the state governments instead of all the friends of Repubicans)
Old 10-10-2006, 07:45 PM

As someone who goes to Mexico frequently (going this wknd!), I have been keeping an eye on the new regulations. First, these do not go into effect until Jan 1 2007. You do not need a passport to get into Canada or Mexico, but you will to return.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:50 PM

There was no time given on the news so I'm glad they don't go into effect till 01/2007... and I don't know many people who would want to stay. So passports are needed! HAHA
Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 PM

Well you wont see my HHR back in Mexico anytime soon
Old 10-11-2006, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
Just slowing down the influx of all those illegal immigrants (yeah, right). And don't forget those Middle Eastern looking folks who are probably terrorists (too bad they don't give the money they spend on all of this to the state governments instead of all the friends of Repubicans)
bieng a mexican american, i kind of agree with the whole passport thing; i mean we do have to keep illegals out of the country... but wtf in the news when we hear we have to secure our borders this is what they are talking about, keeping "wetbacks" out, wtf?? us mexicans arent the ones bombing embassies around the world or hijacking planes and slamming into towers, but yet even when I cross the border i get the freakin 3rd degree.(but then yes i am in Texas so i guess its expected) but why arent ppl from asia turned away, esp since it was THEM who did what they did?

oh well, and yea thepassport i believe is going to cost about $90US per year or so i read...this ithink will kill the mexican economy on the border, since not too many ppl will shell out that kind of cash just to go shopping or drinking, esp when along the border, prices are just the same here as they are there, maybe more expensive,
Old 10-11-2006, 08:46 AM

oh and BTW ....

a few tiems ive almost been cught without gas in mexico....would any of you put mexican gas into your vehicle? the only gas company over there that i know is PEMEX...

i remember when we were kids, my dad had on old truck and we'd go fill it up in mexico, but hell who knows now with modern cars...i wondewr if the gas is good enough for our cars
Old 10-11-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by EL_REY
oh and BTW ....

a few tiems ive almost been cught without gas in mexico....would any of you put mexican gas into your vehicle? the only gas company over there that i know is PEMEX...

i remember when we were kids, my dad had on old truck and we'd go fill it up in mexico, but hell who knows now with modern cars...i wondewr if the gas is good enough for our cars
Yep, used PEMEX many times without problems..even in my HHR!

BTW, the Mexican oil industry is nationalized, so all you can buy is PEMEX. There are ARCO's scattered throughout Baja but they all have to sell PEMEX.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:12 AM

=======UPDATE=====

President Bush yesterday signed this bill delaying the need for a passport for those entering by sea and land (sorry flyers, you are still screwed!) until 2009.

October 02, 2006
Need for passport may wait for many who go to Mexico

Stewart M. Powell / San Antonio Express

WASHINGTON — U.S. citizens returning from Mexico or Canada by land or sea might not have to carry passports at least until June 2009.

That would be the result of legislation awaiting President Bush's signature after Congress overwhelmingly adopted it late Friday.

The bill would push back the U.S. passport requirement for land travelers from Jan. 1, 2008, until June 1, 2009, and for cruise ship passengers from Jan. 8, 2007, to June 1, 2009.

Left intact was a Jan. 8, 2007, deadline for U.S. citizens returning by air from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean to present passports to U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency agents.

The delay is designed to give the Bush administration more time to implement a cheaper and more convenient credit-card size alternative for frequent cross-border travelers.

Congress originally imposed the U.S. passport requirement as part of a comprehensive counterterrorism package to tighten border security amid concerns that al-Qaida operatives might sneak into the United States across the nation's unprotected land borders.

But lawmakers acted to delay implementation in response to concerns raised by border-state members of Congress and the travel industry over the impact that the passport requirement would have on cross-border tourism and commerce.

Millions of U.S. citizens visit neighboring nations each year, with many residents of border communities routinely crossing the international boundaries for shopping and business. Latest government statistics show 16.2 million U.S. residents visited Canada and 16.8 million visited Mexico in 2002.

"We need both security and commerce on our northern border, and this (legislation) ensures we can do both," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y. "This time will help to make sure that any (passport) requirements do not deflate cross-border commerce and tourism."

Jim Santini, legislative counsel for the National Tour Association, said the congressional action would mean "a major crisis has been averted at our nation's land borders," assuring that "proper security procedures and technologies are in place so that legitimate travel and tourism remains unimpeded."

Jarrod Agen, spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security, said despite the delay ordered by Congress, his department would continue "working aggressively" to implement passport requirements as quickly as possible.

Agents for the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency intercepted 84,000 individuals in 2005 alone who were trying to enter the United States using fraudulent documents or false claims of U.S. citizenship, Agen said.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
Firewatcher...

You are a bitter guy. You need to relax for that heart problem.

Quick Reply: For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada...