The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Travel

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 PM

Travel

After 26 hrs of travel here I sit in India...talk about appreciating what we have at home! Ive been screened and patted and doc checked to death. Even the hotel here has a entry xray and wand routine. Nice weather though. Found out the work site will have approx 200 security personal (military and local law) , this is the world of foriegn Gov aircraft! Good thing the hotel has everything needed so I dont have to wonder around and probably get lost amoung the locals. 10 days of this then I get to rush home and repack for a move to Pax River for a new job ( old job is pissed since I gave 2 weeks notice on the way out the door for this trip, but I was commited and I will follow thru with this trip, its only right considering clearances and costs).
Tomorrow we start, should be interesting. Um..no.. havnt spotted any HHRs yet.....
Old 05-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Deceased

Glad you made it there safe and sound, it is a fascinating country but dangerous. Please avoid any contact with fresh water due to assorted water borne parasites and be safe.

You'll probably see tons of the new Tata Nano cars and even more of the funky 50's looking Hindustan Ambassadors which are built from the tooling of the ancient Austin A70 Cambridge.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:39 PM

pictures!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:16 PM

Not here...just trucks and itsi cars and more trucks and buses and scooters and trucks and 3 wheeled taxi's and trucks and buses and did I mention trucks? I can understand what the IRT drivers went thru..TIP:Never let an arm hang out a window. Oh yeah..we arnt the only ones with wicked road construction...at least we pave the side road!
Water is only the half of it.. Ive had enuf shots for 6 people..Interesting how alot of people here work day to day to eat day to day yet..they all have cell phones! And they use them..everywhere,,including scooters dodging thru traffic. The painted lines on the road....I think they are just markers so the people know they are still ON the road. Speed bumps....BIG speed bumps..skateboarders can compete on these suckers. Weather is nice though.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 PM

Woody,

What type of work do you do. Sounds like govt contract work. Are you moving to the Pax River area? If not, that's one h3ll of a commute.

Always wanted to visit India. I work with two engineers from India (US citizens now) Both miss it but would never move back.

Enjoy
Old 06-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Deceased

There are only two times I can recall being actually scared behind the wheel of a car, in fear for my life scared, the first time was in India and the second was in Peru.

There are places in the world where you do take your life in your own hands every time you step out the door, if you've never been to a third world country, you don't know how fortunate you are.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:52 PM

Did any of you guys watch the Ice Road Truckers Deadliest Roads in India? I watched the whole season. It cracks me up how when there's not enough room for two cars to pass by each other, the people get out of their car and argue about who should back up and who should be able to go forward. They are the worst drivers ever! They pass on blind curves, and then cut back into a space barely big enough when passing. And their cars have those annoying musical horns! And then there's the renegade "green bus" drivers. They really have road rage too. Every time there was an accident, a mob would suddenly start to form. Alex had me cracked up that first episode, he got into two accidents before he even made it out of town. "Let's lock the doors before we get skinned" I love that show!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:58 AM
geg

Woody,

That's cool. India - a beautiful country. You're in what state? Obligatory pictures, we are all wondering!

Free time - to visit the Hampi. Even if far away from you. Thou shalt not be sorry.

On occasion - Old Goa. If you are Catholic - a mandatory visit!

And, of course - the unforgettable Old Monk Rum.
I recommend to always drink at any time, even if you wowser or peptic ulcer! You will receive disinfection, spicy flavor and a pleasant light intoxication. And all these pleasures - 3,5 dollars!
I envy you.

Way.
Be careful with the local Hindus. They are greedy. Always inflated price. Hindu said, "is worth 10 dollars" - which means that sold for $ 4. Bargain.
And more ... Do not forget - it the caste society. To suppress the slave - charity. Any transaction, any claim - to meet only the most important and the most fat, otherwise "loss of face." I know, democratic man is difficult. But otherwise, every jackal will use you for his pleasure.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Tomorrow we start, should be interesting. Um..no.. havnt spotted any HHRs yet.....
what? you can't be serious!! that's an outrage!

be safe man.

me and my family are currently moving south of Camden, DE.... maybe we can meet up before you head out across the bay.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:41 AM

I had the opportunity to go to China and saw some poor driving. I remember missing my bus back to the hotel and grabbed a cab. The traffic went into a traffic circle (round about) and there appeared to be no lanes or rules you just went wherever in the circle and I heard the scraping and crunching of other cars hitting the cab as we went on the route to the hotel.

A crazy place!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How to load a truck

Quick Reply: Travel