The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Veterinary bills

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EL_REY
as mush as i love pets too....

they arent family, like a child....
they are animals...
i dont mean to be harsh but thats reality even tho these pets are "domesticated"

i dont mean to hijack the thread this way, or mean any disrespect, and i feel sorry for those who lose pets or have ones that are sick, cuz i too have lost some pets thru illness or cars, or snake bites..but to spend ovr 1K for healthcare? i dont see it, i think euthanising them is a good option as well, cuz what if then YOU needed the 1K for something of importance?

thats just my opinion, i could be wrong
I feel the same. As much as I like my animals I could never bring myself to spend that much on one. I though my grandmother was insane for trying to keep her diabetic cat alive by buying it insulin and special food plus taking it to vet for weekly check ups. My theory was put it to sleep and get another cat but she disagreed.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ymerej_mortsdnil
...if your HUMAN child had a curable disease would you put it to sleep?
Now thats a topic for debate we won't go into in this thread! (curable or incurable)
Old 10-16-2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
Now thats a topic for debate we won't go into in this thread! (curable or incurable)
lol now thats a damn rediculous question/statement if i would put to sleep a human child LMFAO

now that one gets the award for the best post of the year.

how in the HELL can anyone compare a HUMAN child to a pet?

i do support assisted suicide tho, if someone is terminally ill, maybe not a child, but an elderly person or someone who in thier mid years
Old 10-16-2006, 11:23 AM

Well some people do care as much for their pet as others do their children and saying to put them to sleep to save a buck makes them feel the same way you do when someone says put your kid down for being ill so it can go both ways !! i didnt feel it was a bad post! El Rey if someone hit your pretty yellow vette and cracked a fender would you have it crushed or pay the 5000 to replace and paint it?? Just another persons way of lookin at things
Old 10-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Founding Member

One of my best friends had made the tough decission to have his cat put down. The costs of surgeries was way out of his budget. He had taken Jacks to the vet for the 'deed'. He left in tears and was a mess for days after.

A few months had passed when Jacks was not forgotten but just put to the back of his mind when he recieved a phone call from the vets office.

This doctor, out of the kindness of his heart, and at his own expense, did the surgery that Jacks needed to continue his life. Jacks was no longer a male cat. He has urinary track type issues. Jacks no longer has a traidionlal male parts but has adapted to what he's got now.

When my friend got this phone call while at work, (we work together also) he came and told me what this vet did. He could hardly contain himself he was so happy to have been given a second chance with his pal Jacks. Keeping it a secret from his wife until he had time to go pick up Jacks and bring him to her was about all he could stand. Jacks was her favourit pet too!

So, that 'deed' turned out to not be so bad after all. Jacks is now healthy and happy and has many cat lives left!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolfreak
Well some people do care as much for their pet as others do their children and saying to put them to sleep to save a buck makes them feel the same way you do when someone says put your kid down for being ill so it can go both ways !! i didnt feel it was a bad post! El Rey if someone hit your pretty yellow vette and cracked a fender would you have it crushed or pay the 5000 to replace and paint it?? Just another persons way of lookin at things

i do understands that many ppl care about thier animals, as i do/did too, and yes i did cry when my pit was bit by a rattlesnake and died cryng in my hands, i mean who wouldnt? but to compare a human child to a pet IMHO is ridiculous. if there was a half dead dog/cat and a half dead little baby who havent ate in a week, who am i going to care for? the animal? heck no.

and if they hit my pretty lil vette...well i have full coverage
but in all seriousness, yes ppl consider thier pets as family, just as my sister does with HER damn cat, but why spend all this money on an animal,when you can possibly donate some of those funds to feed hungry children across the world, and even here in the US.

i think there any way too many more important things in this world then worrying if a cat cant spit his hairball properly... but thats my opinion
Old 10-16-2006, 12:06 PM

that reminds me of what happened to my cat "fat sam".. the vet liked him so much that he said he would do whatever if we decided to let him keep him, so we did. not bad cuz he was kinda old too, and he lived pretty good, or so i would imagine.

Originally Posted by SindyDix
One of my best friends had made the tough decission to have his cat put down. The costs of surgeries was way out of his budget. He had taken Jacks to the vet for the 'deed'. He left in tears and was a mess for days after.

A few months had passed when Jacks was not forgotten but just put to the back of his mind when he recieved a phone call from the vets office.

This doctor, out of the kindness of his heart, and at his own expense, did the surgery that Jacks needed to continue his life. Jacks was no longer a male cat. He has urinary track type issues. Jacks no longer has a traidionlal male parts but has adapted to what he's got now.

When my friend got this phone call while at work, (we work together also) he came and told me what this vet did. He could hardly contain himself he was so happy to have been given a second chance with his pal Jacks. Keeping it a secret from his wife until he had time to go pick up Jacks and bring him to her was about all he could stand. Jacks was her favourit pet too!

So, that 'deed' turned out to not be so bad after all. Jacks is now healthy and happy and has many cat lives left!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:25 PM
jx3

I've bit my tongue long enough on this one, was going to wait until Eddie got his shots this week before adding to this thread.

Due to my kidney failure, right now children are not an option, so therefore my dog, Eddie, gets treated as if he were a child. I found him abandoned in a stairwell at my old apt bldg when he was no more than 10 weeks old. Didn't really have the funds take him in, borrowed money from my in-laws to take care of him the first year, check up, shots, and for the form of cancer he had/has. Have had to take him in 4 times to have cancerous spots removed at about $300 each. Do I, or will I, ever regret having spent this amount of money on a "dog,"---NEVER!!

Originally Posted by EL_REY
but in all seriousness, yes ppl consider thier pets as family, just as my sister does with HER damn cat, but why spend all this money on an animal,when you can possibly donate some of those funds to feed hungry children across the world, and even here in the US.

i think there any way too many more important things in this world then worrying if a cat cant spit his hairball properly... but thats my opinion

I for one would rather give to animal charities over "feeding hungry children."
Old 10-16-2006, 12:28 PM

Hey El Rey , I hear exactly what you are sayin and ithink we kinda got off the topic but look at it this way (my wifes prespective) You could have given the money you spent on your corvette (nice one) and the cost of insuring it to help feed starving children as well ?? But it was something you wanted and enjoy and it gives you a feeling (when you drive it etc..) that you couldnt get from somethin else! That is the same feelin some people get from their pets so what is differance from them spending 5000 on a dog and you on a car? beleive me i am a car nut!! and have spent way to much money on some!!! so when the wife says she wants to spend 2000 or whatever on her pet/baby i have no leg to stand on!! Other than is it really going to help it or just going to prolong its Pain! Myself i love dogs and hate cats! but my wife loves both and we have both and i told her i will help financially with our dogs but dont ask for a dime for them CATS!!! LOL sorry Sindy didnt mean to hi jack your post!! Tony
Old 10-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Founding Member

I don't mind being hhijacked, as long we disagree without being disagreeable, and keep some what on topic. I know the potential of such a side topic, whoa boy!

Quick Reply: Veterinary bills