The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Victory Motorcycles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:28 AM

Victory Motorcycles?

Im new to motorcycles, when I say new, I mean I have riden many dirtbikes and ATVs, but have never owned one or driven a motorcycle on the road. Now I grew up in York PA, where Harley Davidson has a factory and so natuarally all anyone ever talks about is how wonderful harleys are and how much they love harley etc.
I like the H-D crossbones, but its way out of my 10K price range. A friend of mine recently intoduced me to a new motorcycle called the Victory Highball. It has the look and feel I want in a bike, but I dont know anything about Victory since locally everyone owns a hog. Does anyone have any input or advice?

If I don't get a motorcycle Ill probably save my money and continue on with my plan for building a LS1 miata. However, with the way gas prices are going, and many other build factors I may just get a motorcycle with my play money instead.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 AM

Victory has been around for a bit, owned by Polaris. I own a few bikes and none of them are Harleys. I believe a bike should stop, turn, and go equally well. I contemplated a Victory when they first came out as a cruiser bike/American branded that performed a bit better. I think the newer Victories are great bikes, look like customs, have good power, and supposedly handle pretty well. Considering how much of production is outsourced, the made in the US hardly applies to Harley anymore if that's a thing for you. I always like things unique so for me a Victory would be a def consideration. There are some pretty cool new Triumphs too that you may like.

ps I've had a few Miatas-that would be a fun project too
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Andy2.0
However, with the way gas prices are going, and many other build factors I may just get a motorcycle with my play money instead.
You will not be saving any money on gas check into the milage ratings on the bigger bikes the V-twins are no better than small cars.The first year on the road your insurance rate will be high check that out first it changes a lot based on brand and model.

Been riding since 9 on the road since 1977 my current collection is at 29 bikes from a 1950 Matchless to a 1986 Yamaha.I`am big on Hondas and Kawasaki`s but nothing draws attention from the Harley guys then pulling in on my Norton 850 Commando.

I tried the V-twin road back in 2003 and lost interest and sold it in 2006 they all start to look the same at 30 feet or 30 mph.I just like the older look of the bikes from 84 and back.Last 3 years I have been riding one of my favorites a 1983 Honda cb1100F Super Sport last of the big Hondas before the covered the engines in plastic.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...n-motorcycles/

Polaris Buys Indian Motorcycles
by Paul Crowe - "The Kneeslider" on 4/19/2011

in Motorcycle Business

Polaris Industries buys the Indian Motorcycle company

Indian Motorcycles was acquired today by Polaris Industries. With the slow economy, Indian had a tough road due to a limited and high end line of motorcycles. Polaris, on the other hand is far more diversified and better able to weather the current market conditions. This could be a good combination for both companies. Very interesting!

Press release follows:

Polaris Industries Inc. today announced the acquisition of Indian Motorcycle. The business was acquired from Indian Motorcycle Limited (“IML”), a company advised by Stellican Limited and Novator Partners LLP, U.K. Private Equity firms. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

“We are excited to be part of the revitalization of a quintessentially American brand,” said Scott Wine, CEO of Polaris Industries Inc. “Indian built America’s first motorcycle. With our technology and vision, we are confident we will deliver the classic Indian motorcycle, enhanced by the quality and performance for which Polaris and Victory are known.”

With this acquisition, Polaris adds one of motorcycling’s legendary brands to its strong stable of Victory cruiser and touring bikes. Indian will operate as an autonomous business unit, building upon the potent combination of Polaris’ engineering acumen and innovative technology with Indian’s premium brand, iconic design and rich American heritage.

“We are delighted to have reached an agreement with Polaris. Polaris will utilize its well-known strengths in engineering, manufacturing, and distribution to complete the mission we undertook upon re-launching the brand in 2006: harness the enormous potential of the Indian brand,” said Stephen Julius, chairman of Indian and managing director of Stellican. “Polaris is the most logical owner of Indian Motorcycle. Indian’s heritage brand will allow Polaris to aggressively compete across an expanded spectrum of the motorcycle market.”

Novator Partners LLP is a London based alternative investment firm founded and led by the investor Mr. Thor Bjorgolfsson. An avid motorcycle enthusiast, Mr. Bjorgolfsson said “After a troubled past, our goal was to bring the legendary Indian bikes back on the roads. The initial phase of that project is done and now our great partners at Polaris will carry on the work to realize the full potential of this classic American brand.”

Course the Real Indians have long ago ended production: 1901-1953 end of story...
Old 04-20-2011, 07:57 PM

I test rode some victories at a dealer just outside of harrisburg.

I love the american made bikes. However, I was un-impressed with the vic bikes, even beyond their appearances.

With the vision and a few others... they had buttons on their controls that did NOTHING. Why? Cause they use the same controls on all their touring models. So there was a power windshield button that did nothing. BS and done only to save money.

They still have that metric plastic feel.

Their transmission is HORRIBLE! Every gear has straight cut gears. Every gear made a disturbing horrible whine the entire time you ride. It sucks!! Mechanic said "victory built it to last forever", which I replied, "yes irritating me the entire time!".

Their motor is seriously lacking power. It has 10 cubes over my HD and was lacking that push rod torque. It really felt like it was 10 cubes smaller NOT larger.

The cross country & cross roads saddlebags were fine with the top loading.

Their saddlebags on the vision (the top long distance version) were horrible. Why the hell would you want side loading? And NO they don't offer a cargo net over the opening. STUPID

I really want to like them. But the lack of power and their trans just killed it.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:27 PM

That's a drag, I guess I should check them out again. I just saw something that said they've changed the gearbox this year and it addresses that supposedly. I'm having a hard time imagining less power than a Harley, it's quite a bit up in hp and torque figures and all the comparison reviews I've been able to find reinforce the sop feel. I can't say how it feels, I haven't ridden. I can say sometimes things are way faster than they feel due to how they work. If you want serious stock torque, throw a leg over a Triumph Rocket-biggest engine going and 163 lb/ft.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:32 PM

I like the H-D crossbones, but its way out of my 10K price range. A friend of mine recently intoduced me to a new motorcycle called the Victory Highball.
That Victory is $13,499.00, so it is still well outside your $10K limit (in fact, you can get a much better looking, IMHO, Harley Sportster Iron Black for $7,999.00. Check it out at: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US.../iron-883.html)
Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

One thing victory can never install is "soul"..

I'll be sticking to my older Harleys. 2 Evos & 1 Flathead, & building another Flathead.

And with my Evos getting almost 50 mpg. I got no complaints..
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by LewiSS
That Victory is $13,499.00, so it is still well outside your $10K limit (in fact, you can get a much better looking, IMHO, Harley Sportster Iron Black for $7,999.00. Check it out at: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US.../iron-883.html)
10K is what I have, I imagine paying off the 4000 when taxes and such are included wouldn't be so bad. I guess I'll have to check some of these out for myself when I come home in July. Im not sure about the gear whine since ther reviews Ive read said it was quiter than a Harley. Maybe this is a matter of opinion or it depends on the bike? Also Ive seen sportsters and they just look, well... too small.
Thanks from everyone for the advice, and don't worry musicguy my wrenching buddies would much rather see me build the miata.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

seen sportsters and they just look, well... too small.
Sportys are small...

Might want to compare resale values between a victory & a Harley..

Quick Reply: Victory Motorcycles?