The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

What kind of GPS do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:04 PM

I prefer the road atlas or Mapquest online over any navigation system in the car. You should stop anyway to read it so why not just pull out the atlas? Sorry, but I wouldn't trust those ones that give directions. What happens when a street is blocked due to construction? My atlas also gives projected dates of road construction which is very helpful when you're traveling to a new location. Once I purchased an atlas of only Florida which had a large map of almost every city in the state. It was really great. But now I need a new one and can't find them anymore.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by HonestBlues
They are not much help if there are no signs.I guess you have never driven the rural roads in the South.Thanks for your input.
The south doesn`t have the lock on rural roads,we got them up here too.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
The south doesn`t have the lock on rural roads,we got them up here too.
I was hoping that other members of this board could help me with a GPS buying decision,and you chose to tell me what road atlas you had.Thanks for your input.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
I prefer the road atlas or Mapquest online over any navigation system in the car. You should stop anyway to read it so why not just pull out the atlas? Sorry, but I wouldn't trust those ones that give directions. What happens when a street is blocked due to construction? My atlas also gives projected dates of road construction which is very helpful when you're traveling to a new location. Once I purchased an atlas of only Florida which had a large map of almost every city in the state. It was really great. But now I need a new one and can't find them anymore.
I used to think that also until I actually used one. While nothing is perfect it has done a more than a well enough job in getting me from point A to point B with no problem. For the most part you don't need to look at it all the time..it will tell you when to turn.

Blues- If you don't want to spend a whole lot of cash, take a look at the Garmin C320. I have seen them as low as 199 online. The difference between the C320 and the C330 is that the 320 uses an SD card to load your maps on and the 330 and 340 use a built in hard drive...to me that is one more thing to break and die. The 340 will say street names though.

I'm pretty sure all 3 are now discontinued for newer models but if you don't want to invest a whole bunch of money into your first GPS the C320 is a great choice. I will say though that sometimes in big cities it is tough to get a signal....similar to when you can't get a clean XM signal...tall buildings can mess with it

Goose
Old 04-16-2007, 04:38 PM

Thanks all for some good "food for thought".I will keep looking at what is available on line(I don't like paying sales tax)and who knows,maybe one of the manufacturers or dealers will offer a rebate that will be too good to resist. HB
Old 04-16-2007, 04:47 PM

Here's a link for garmin C320 if you're still interested.

CLICK HERE
Old 04-16-2007, 07:02 PM

I was hoping that other members of this board could help me with a GPS buying decision,and you chose to tell me what road atlas you had.Thanks for your input.
It`s called humor. Some of us have it.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
It`s called humor. Some of us have it.
Sorry...my bad,I took it the wrong way. Smiley faces help people to understand others meanings on these typed pages though.We all have them.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Sorry...my bad,I took it the wrong way. Smiley faces help people to understand others meanings on these typed pages though.We all have them.
No problem and no hard feelings. I typed my first msg in a hurry.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:55 PM

Lowrance IWAY 500C. Excellent GPS.

Quick Reply: What kind of GPS do you have?