The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

What Were You Doing on September 11th 2001?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:43 PM

My mom had just passed away and it was going to be my first week back in the office. For us on the West Coast, it was barely 6 am and I was getting dressed with the TV on, just in shock. My closest and oldest friend who lives in NC called me and we just cried together on the phone to comfort each other.

I was still in Berkeley at the time and as cynical as you may think of the place, not a dry eye in our office, small groups huddling for comfort with gentle prayers for the fallen.

Que en paz descansen.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

If that last part is originally yours, ChvyMgr, it should be published.

For me.......after the first tower was hit, I watched the rest ALL DAY AND NIGHT. Didn't sleep for about 20 hours, I was so "rapped" up.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:06 PM

I was sitting in my first day of Law School. My Prof kept silencing his cell phone in his pocket. About the third or fourth time it rang he answered it. After hanging up the phone he told us that a small plane had struck the WTC in NY. Several minutes later his phone rang again and he answered it. I watched the color drain from his face and he slowly hung up the phone. He said only "You can all go" and he walked out. Puzzled we all slowly got up and walked out into the hall and as we exited there was a vestibule in the hall with a TV in it and we saw a group of other students gathered around it. As we all walked over we got there as the 2nd plane struck the WTC. I felt absolutely sick. I was called into work right after that and worked for the next 18 hours. I never returned to Law School since my employer was making us work constantly over the next 2 months. I still have to turn away everytime I see a replay of the events that day on TV.

SPPD
Old 09-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Founding Member

I had seen it while getting ready for work that morning. I went to work shaken and in disbelief. It was all the talk in the shop. Our boss gave us the option of going home if we wanted. I finished my day at work listening to news radio. I too, like Snoopy, was so wrapped up in it. Watching all the news I could get once I got home.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:19 PM

We Will Never Forget

Watching CNBC, they showed where the first plane went in, not grasping the scale of the WTC I thought it was a small plane, then the second plane came in while we were watching. Started to work, but then joined many other folks turning around to go home. I remember the eerie silence for days with all aircraft grounded. Lost several co-workers, two in the air and two new young accountant interns that were at WTC. You bet I Will Never Forget or Forgive.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:33 PM
ecl

I was in my 9th grade science class when I first heard about it and watching it on tv then school began and the teacher turned the tv off. I didnt even know about a second plane hitting for an hour and a half later when I got to my second class and just sat and watched it the rest of the day and at home.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:56 PM

I was laying new carpet in WTC #7. I have never run so fast in my life. My co-workers and I didn't stop running until we got to Battery Park. I haven't been back to NYC since.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:06 PM

I was painting a funeral home that was being built,no tv only radio, couldn't comprehend what had happened until I got home that night and saw it, even then I couldn't believe it.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:53 PM

At work............... we heard about the first plane on the radio and turned on the office TV. Watched in horror and disbelief as the second plane hit....watched the rest of the day and most of the next.......

Forget - Never!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:10 PM

I was driving to Buffalo and stopped into McDonalds in Dunkirk NY when the news hit the radio. I remember walking into the McDonalds and just blurting out to everyone inside something like: "The World Trade Center has been attacked by a plane". Everyone just looked in horror. I then drove to my destination and attempted to install a couple of cash registers, but couldn't concentrate at all. Then they announced that a third plane was over Cleveland. I called my daugher, a student at Baldwin-Wallace College near Cleveland and told her to get into a basement area for protection. We then later heard about the plane crashing near Pittsburgh.
My nephew worked for Lehman Brothers in the building next to the WTC. He got off a block early to buy a cup of coffee. When he came out of the subway, it had already happened and he was one of those that you see running through all of the horrible dust and debris to try to outrun everything. They ended up pounding on windows of a closed Burger King and the operator allowed them all in for protection.
There are several moments in time that we will always remember where we were when it happened: for me the two biggest items were the assassination of JFK and the 911 horrific event.

Quick Reply: What Were You Doing on September 11th 2001?