The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

What Were You Doing on September 11th 2001?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:25 PM

I was in my fourth grade class watching as almost all of my class mates got called out just wondering my are ther around 4 kids left in my class what is going on? ... i was 8 half the age i currently am and i still remember that day....
Old 09-11-2009, 06:27 PM

I was a Captain on an offshore supply boat about 60 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico. The rig called on the radio and told us all helo's were grounded and all work was stopped. We had no clue for an hour, then they called back and told us what happened. We headed back to shore that afternoon and began to get snowy pictures of the WTC and the reality set in.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:57 PM

I was in between contracts so was sleeping in.
My friend called on the phone and said "turn on the news, a maniac flew a plane into the WTC".
"Yeah right."
"No ****."
I turned it on to see the second plane hit.
I watched it in horror every time the media ghouls played it on TV until I couldn't stand it.

I flew the stars and stripes in my picture window from that day until we moved about 3 years later.
A buddy in Club DSM makes stickers.
I flew it on my Talon until I sold it.

RIP WTC & Never Ever Forget

Old 09-11-2009, 07:51 PM

Was sitting in school in study hall 12th grade. the whole school was so quiet you could hear a mouse fart.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:02 PM

We had just woken up for work on the USS Boxer (LHD-4) floating just outside of Camp Pendleton off-loading Marines and their equipment and only 3 days from pulling into San Diego after a 6mo deployment. Everyone was expecting us back on the 14th, and all we kept hearing was that we were the ready ARG (Assault Readiness Group) with our ammo still onboard and that we should be ready to go back to the Persian Gulf immediately as we all sat watching it on the news and talking to people back home via email and phone about what was going on. Luckily they let us stay and pull back into port when we were supposed to. Fortunately I didn't personally know anyone that was involved in any of the incidents.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:40 PM

I was at work on Capitol Hill in Washington DC. Always felt if any form of attack happened and the White House, Capitol or Pentagon was in danger that a squadron of jets, on constant alert somewhere close by, would be scrambled and come to our "rescue" within a very few minutes. Boy was I wrong. DC had a f**king bullseye on it. Not a day I will ever forget and the lives lost.

Retired not long after that.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by opelpowered
8th grade, wow and I thought I was young. I was in my AP Economics class, my senior year of highschool.
I can beat that...but not wihockey...

I was in the 6th grade....Social Studies class. The principal knocked on the door and the teacher walked out. She came back in a minute later crying. She told us what had happened, and turned the tv on. She let us watch the news for the rest of the class period. We watched everything happen live on the tv. I remember seeing the second plane hit....
Old 09-12-2009, 07:24 AM

At the time we lived in Fort Wayne, Indiana and I was working for a building mainentance company for a large Life Insurance Company. Generally, I slept in mornings but on this day for some reason I had gotten up early. I hadn't turned on the t.v. yet and then received a call from my sister. She told me about the attacks and I didn't believe her. I remember thinking there is no way something like this could happen. That thought was quickly shattered after turning on the t.v. and seeing the horrific images being displayed. I watched in dismay as the second plane hit.

After prying myself from the news I headed to work. My assignment was the daycare center provided for the Insurance Co. employees. As I walked in you could see the shock on the faces of all the staff. Most of the children had been picked up already and most of the teachers were standing in the halls trying to comprehend the reality of what had happened. I never really started work. Just kind of walked around in a state of disbelief.

About an hour later we received a phone call telling everyone to go home. All of the Life Insurance buildings were in close proximity to a government building and they were taking every precaution possible to limit the number of casualties if an attack were to occur. The rest of that day and the next morning were spent gazing at the news trying to understand how this could happen.

Name:  worldtradewithflag1024.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  36.3 KB
Old 09-12-2009, 08:59 AM

I was in the Marines stationed at Camp Lejeune. I saw the news while packing to deploy to Japan. I went and told my Company Commander and he watched the news for a few then went back to work.

When the plane hit the Pentagon it got real to him and the base was quickly locked down. No one on or off.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:58 PM

I had worked the night before, so I woke up to a phone call from a co worker to tell me to turn on the T.V. After a bit of time on the phone, I called neighbor, and then my folks. I was pretty much glued to the T.V. all day long.

Quick Reply: What Were You Doing on September 11th 2001?