The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

When your power steering goes out

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 08:06 AM
Administrator

On that note, It’s way off topic as FMG pointed out, and sleeper has a good point. But this is the Lounge and that’s what it’s here for!

Last edited by Oldblue; 07-05-2022 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
Since this is an international forum, we need to remember more than U.S. holidays. And my guess is, Buckingham Palace isn’t decked in red, white, and blue bunting today.
Originally Posted by greg8453
We are not in the UK. We are Americans and we celebrate this as OUR day of independence.
Our administrator is in Canada. A contributor to this thread is in Russia.

Guess who posted our Independence Day salutation? Our Canadian Administrator!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/cele...nce-day-65459/

Canada’s Queen is Elizabeth II, same as UK.

Russia is the largest country in the world by land mass. Canada is the second largest.

Shocking as it may be to many of her people (certainly the minority that give Americans their international reputation for ignorance, arrogance, and self-centeredness) the United States is not the center of the universe.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
I do not know what you could be referring to other than my comment, “Some [emphasis added] do, especially insecure males who feel emasculated by contemporary culture and subconsciously seek to reclaim their manhood …[by buying]… guns that serve them no rational purpose.”

It would be better not to parse a comment for a point of potential disagreement and then reframing it into something that wasn’t said unless the goal is to pick a fight. For the record, as a American citizen I defend the Constitution including the the second amendment. But having a right to keep and bear arms does not not make every acquisition rational. We now have some 20 million AR-15’s in circulation, and a whole lot of them are owned by people who had no rational reason to buy them, have no idea know how to use them properly, and never will. Also, at the risk of provoking a debate I have no intention of participating in, a weapon acquired for domestic defense is more like to kill or maim a member of the household than an intruder.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-2...ulation-2022-5

You may not have intended a sanctimonious lecturette but that’s what you produced. No one appreciates being talked down to, especially with nothing new. And it begins with a completely false statement. NOT “every freedom [we] enjoy today was because of someones skill with a weapon.” Some were. The freeing of slaves certainly was. But the entire bill rights, including ironically the 2nd amendment, was won not at the point of a gun but through (sometimes civil) discourse along with political sausage-making, and ratified by the states in accordance with the Constitution. (Sadly, we have not achieved constitutional equal rights for women. Maybe someday we can do that. Maybe even without an armed insurrection by women.)

I’m here for what bring us together, not for what divides us. Today in the U.S.A., that is Independence Day, the celebration of the moment of creation of a Democracy of The People, by The People, for The People, each one created equal, by throwing off the shackles of a monarchy. Yes, with arms. And artillery, and guile, and treachery, and diplomacy, and cooperation, and unity. (Yeah, yeah, that’s my sanctimonious lecture.)

Now back to more Fun With HHR’s.
I wasn't intentionally talking down to anyone.My goal was to refute your statement that gun ownership for some serves no rational purpose.The second amendment does not state you have the right to bear arms except the one's some people deem "scary".With all those AR 15's a very tiny percentage are used to kill people in this country so the reason it's singled out constantly baffles me.People who label it as a weapon of war have no idea what they are talking about.The reason the founding Fathers installed the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with home defense.It's about being able to resist the possible tyranny of our Government.
Without the freedom to do so you would have NO ability to write a bill of rights.Without freedom you don't have any say in what happens to you or your country.
I don't know how my post was any more sanctimonious then yours was so let's call it a draw.
My intent was only to say that there are some very logical reason's people buy the weapons they do.Are they always rational?Of course not but people are killed every day by car's (many don't have a clue how to drive) but I don't see anyone calling for them to be taken away.If your neighbor drives drunk tonight and kills someone would you then be OK with someone taking your car?
Trying to ban the tool used in killing is like drilling holes in the bottom of your boat to let the water out.Gun's don't kill, people kill.If we spent more time fixing people we would be better off then trying to take away all the way's people kill.
I really appreciate a good debate and try not to get personal in doing so.If I offended anyone I apologize.

Last edited by Vinnybagodoughnuts; 07-05-2022 at 01:26 PM. Reason: highlighted that for you :)
Old 07-05-2022, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Vinnybagodoughnuts
My goal was to refute your statement that gun ownership serves no logical purpose.
I made not such statement.

You parsed my comment for an incidental and tangential part of it and went off-topic with a misreading of it.

Misreading my original comment is forgivable enough, but there is no excuse for continuing to put those words in my mouth after my reply to your comment, which should have made your original error obvious.

Stop digging.

Last edited by PulpFriction; 07-06-2022 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:58 PM

well for the insecure one, I got the Fit to replace a gas guzzlin 4x4 truck that only got 8mpg... yeah that 45mpg Fit was nice for awhile but had to give it up because Willy dragged the ground too much.... friction burns suck.
Anyway, I still have another gas guzzlin 4x4 truck to haul what I need at my farm and recently got another HHR to replace my previously totaled HHR to do the majority of my running around, whew, Those $150 fill ups that only last a day or 2 sucks, nice to have another HHR $50 fill up and run a week or 2.
But as they say, those who are insecure are those first to start belittling others. Hope you have a better life ahead of you .

Old 07-06-2022, 04:56 AM

I have a 1990 E250. 8300# or so GVW. 2 gas tanks. Only drive it to haul stuff. Have or have had 5 HHR’s, yet still insecure.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:53 PM

Americans their international reputation for ignorance, arrogance, and self-centeredness) the United States is not the center of the universe

Truth and it shows.
It would be more peaceful if everyone just got along and quit one upping the next.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bonez
Americans their international reputation for ignorance, arrogance, and self-centeredness) the United States is not the center of the universe

Truth and it shows.
It would be more peaceful if everyone just got along and quit one upping the next.
No one upping there is it? Just name calling. The US has lost it's way because we threw away the God who blessed us and took the US to such levels. It was because as a whole we honored Him. Now as a whole the US disdains the God who raised us up.
The world was a safe place with a strong US. Not so today.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:25 PM
geg

listened to Scott Ritter, performed July 4...
I was about to post a link, but then I changed my mind.
but judging by the English-speaking responses, the man is popular in US.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:20 PM

No one upping there is it? Just name calling. The US has lost it's way because we threw away the God who blessed us and took the US to such levels. It was because as a whole we honored Him. Now as a whole the US disdains the God who raised us up.
you do realize that wasnt my quote?

Quick Reply: When your power steering goes out