The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Who is going to watch the night sky

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:03 AM

Who is going to watch the night sky

December 13th to the 14th is the high light of the the Geminid meteor shower. Does anyone plan on watching it? If the sky is clear here by I may try to brave the cold for a short and catch a glimpse.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:14 AM

There's snow in the forecast for tonight around here, so: overcast. But there'll still be plenty of "meteor" falling; I may even get to shovel some.

Yves
Old 12-13-2007, 10:59 AM

We are gonna get hit with a decent storm starting in about an hour or so....same as Yves..that will be the only stuff I'll be seeing tonight

I hate winter

Goose
Old 12-13-2007, 11:14 AM

If all is clear here, for sure! I love astronomy. The husband and I drove up into Wisconsin a couple of years ago to see the Northern Lights when we were so blessed to see them this far south. It was an incredible experience, one that I will never forget.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:40 AM

Suppose to snow here in NE Oh also. Had a good coating of ICE this morning. I'm in favor of some global warming to prevent this freezing rain.
Tried to see the meteor showers that happen every August but have never seen them. I've seen the comet Hail Bob, and the space station go over 2 times.
Actually seen the space station while parts of it were being made at the Space Center in Fla yrs ago (2002, I think). Seen Meteor Crater in Arizona, now that was some impact!
Old 12-13-2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Goose
We are gonna get hit with a decent storm starting in about an hour or so....same as Yves..that will be the only stuff I'll be seeing tonight
I hate winter Goose
Same here................... geeeeeeeeees i really hate winter and more than Goose also
Old 12-13-2007, 12:03 PM
jx3

Damn city lights of Miami!!

Maybe this year I'll head out to the "Glades" so I can get a better viewing.
(Weather pending)
Old 12-13-2007, 03:13 PM

Maybe... I'll try to go out. Have to be very careful..have trees and tree limbs all over the yard from the ice storm. Have a crew of 6 men cutting and hauling the limbs and logs away. We were lucky no power loss for us, our neighbors are not as lucky. Still so many business and residents with no power. The only problem we had was no phone or internet. Now they are calling for a significant snow fall starting Friday night.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:48 PM

We've had heavy fog the last few nights because of the warm temps. I don't think we'll get a clear view. I always tried to watch the meteor shows in August. It's getting harder and harder to find an area dark enough to see meteors.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:56 PM

I just went out to walk the dog, and was lucky enough to see clear skies, then BLAMMO! one shot from East to West. I think I'm going to grab my heavy blankie, wrap up like a burrito and stand outside for a bit. Cold weather meteor showers are by far, the best, since you don't have any humidity waves in the air. It's quite cold out, but well worth it.

Went back out in the blanket, and saw 4 in less than 10 minutes. The first one I saw was an "I love you, Daddy" to my late father. He was the one that got me into everything....cars, photography, home repairs, astronomy... you name it. I sure do miss that ol' fart. The husband and I had a star named for him, it's in the Casseopia Constellation. That's where I look up and talk to my dad for strength and advice. I know, it sounds odd, but it actually is quite therapeutic for me.

The 2nd was to my Husband, 3rd to my daughter, and 4th to my son. I went in after that.

Last edited by Wodinator; 12-13-2007 at 11:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Who is going to watch the night sky