The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Worst half time show ever?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:33 AM

I would argue it has been anything but a good mix. In the last 10 years there have been only two country artists. Shania Twain and Faith Hill. I don't consider the dixie chicks country since they have left country music for pop, but even if you do count them, the count is 3 to 34.

BTW thanks to HillsdaleHHR for posting the info. Brings back memories of all the performers of the past, good and bad.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:04 AM

Yeah, but look at 92 through 94. Looks pretty country to me. Country use to belong to Nascar but they have been trying to get away from that stereotype the last couple of years.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 AM

1993 and especially 1994 were very good for country music. I would like to see more halftime shows like that.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Hate to say it, but when I think football, no one in the music industry comes to mind...
Call me crazy but AC/DC, Nickelback, Fort Minor, P.O.D. come to mind...

Ng
Old 02-05-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by eat_world
No question about it, i was so dissapointed. Prince may be a good guitar player, but he can not play "all along the watch towers" and he went straight into "best of you with out having dave growl(sp?) on stage. Just wrong in my oppinion.

It's spelled Dave Grohl. That's part of my name I know I'm a loser. As an avid Foo Fighters fan, I was excited but horrified as he ATTEMPTED to cover best of you. I'm also bummed that I didn't see any nipples this year
Old 02-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
1993 Garth Brooks and Michael Jackson. Seems to me they do a pretty good job of mixing it up year to year

Super
Bowl Year Super Bowl
National Anthem Performer Super Bowl
Halftime Show Performers
XLI 2007 Billy Joel Prince
XL 2006 Aretha Franklin, & Aaron Neville The Rolling Stones
XXXIX 2005 A joint choir of military cadets
(Alicia Keys singing "America the Beautiful") Paul McCartney
XXXVIII 2004 Beyonce Knowles Janet "wardrobe malfunction" Jackson, Justin Timberlake
XXXVII 2003 Dixie Chicks Shania Twain, No Doubt
XXXVI 2002 Mariah Carey U2
XXXV 2001 Backstreet Boys
(America The Beautiful
performed by Ray Charles) Aerosmith & NSYNC
XXXIV 2000 Faith Hill Phil Collins, Christina Aguilera, Enrique Iglesias, Toni Braxton
XXXIII 1999 Cher Stevie Wonder, Gloria Estefan, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
XXXII 1998 Jewel Boyz II Men, Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves, Temptations, Queen Latifah
XXXI 1997 Luther Vandross Blues Brothers - Dan Akroyd, John Goodman, James Belushi, ZZ Top, James Brown
XXX 1996 Vanessa Williams Diana Ross
XXIX 1995 Kathie Lee Gifford Patti LaBelle, Tony Bennett, Arturo Sandoval, Miami Sound Machine
XXVIII 1994 Natalie Cole Clint Black, Tanya Tucker, Travis Tritt, Wynonna & Naomi Judd
XXVII 1993 Garth Brooks Michael Jackson
XXVI 1992 Harry Connick, Jr. Gloria Estefan, Brian Boitano, Dorothy Hamill
XXV 1991 Whitney Houston New Kids on the Block
XXIV 1990 Aaron Neville Pete Fountain, Doug Kershaw, Irma Thomas
XXIII 1989 Billy Joel South Florida-area dancers and performers
XXII 1988 Herb Alpert Chubby Checker, Rockettes & 88 grand pianos
XXI 1987 Neil Diamond Southern California-area high school drill teams and dancers
XX 1986 Wynton Marsalis Up With People
XIX 1985 Children's Choir of San Francisco U.S. Air Force Band: "Tops in Blue"
XVIII 1984 Barry Manilow University of Florida and Florida State University Bands
XVII 1983 Leslie Esterbrook Los Angeles Super Drill Team
XVI 1982 Diana Ross Up With People
XV 1981 Helen O'Connell Southern University Band, Helen O'Connell
XIV 1980 Cheryl Ladd Up With People
XIII 1979 The Colgate Thirteen Ken Hamilton, various Caribbean Bands
XII 1978 Phyllis Kelly of NE Louisiana State University Tyler Apache Belles, Pete Fountain & Al Hirt
XI 1977 Vikki Carr (America the Beautiful) Los Angeles Unified All-City Band & Crowd Participation
X 1976 Tom Sullivan Up With People
IX 1975 Grambling University Band Mercer Ellington & Grambling University Bands
VIII 1974 Charlie Pride University of Texas Band
VII 1973 Little Angels of Holy Angels Church (Chicago) University of Michigan Band & Woody Herman
VI 1972 U.S. Air Force Academy Chorale Ella Fitzgerald, Carol Channing, Al Hirt & U.S. Marine Corps Drill Team
V 1971 Tommy Loy (Trumpeter) Anita Bryant & The Golden Eagles Marching Band from Southeast Missouri State College
IV 1970 Al Hirt Carol Channing
III 1969 Anita Bryant Florida A&M University
II 1968 Grambling University Band Grambling University Band
I 1967 University of Arizona Symphonic Marching
Band and Grambling Band University of Arizona Marching Band
Only thing missing is a hip hop act...maybe a RUN DMC Walk This Way would be nice!

How bout we ask the players about what kinda music should be at the halftime show?!?!?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:38 PM

I don`t think the players care one way or another, they`re not watching the show... Never played football, huh...
Old 02-05-2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ng8650
Call me crazy but AC/DC, Nickelback, Fort Minor, P.O.D. come to mind...

Ng
OK, Crazy
I`ve heard of AC/DC, can`t say the word football conjures up any of these groups, for me...
Old 02-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by teech
Only thing missing is a hip hop act...maybe a RUN DMC Walk This Way would be nice!

How bout we ask the players about what kinda music should be at the halftime show?!?!?
Well..........Queen Latifah is on the list. While I agree that they need a hip-hop act in the mix I'm afraid of who the will book. If they do book a hip-hop act it will probably be someone that sucks but is popular. I don't see why everyone is bit**ing about prince. The man is an incredible guitarist, his music generally kicks ass, and he is a living legend. It could be a whole lot worse. They could book someone like The Kids of Widney High for the halftime show.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
I don`t think the players care one way or another, they`re not watching the show... Never played football, huh...
true...if the entire league is playing in the superbowl. But you missed the point...

Quick Reply: Worst half time show ever?