The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

XM-Sirius Merger ok'd by DOJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Founding Member

XM-Sirius Merger ok'd by DOJ

We still have to wait for the FCC to approve it now.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23781933/

I wonder how it will work and if the consumer will really get a better deal out of this or is it just the investors who will come out smelling like a rose.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:52 PM

THANKS for posting!!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I wonder how it will work and if the consumer will really get a better deal out of this or is it just the investors who will come out smelling like a rose.

Consumers: 0..... Investors: 1....... Of course, but hopefully a better homogenized product.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Well,
this is how it was planned in July '07:
http://www.xmmerger.com/site/page/a_la_cartehttp://www.xmmerger.com/site/page/a_la_carte

Check out the PDFs on that page...

I like the 50 channels for $6.99 month - you pick the 50 you want...
Granted that is 50 XM *or* 50 Sirius channels - so if you already have one of the
services and don't care about the other - you can save money too.

There's even a package where your existing receiver will be able to get the "best of" from both Sirius and XM - but that will cause you an extra $10.

jim
Old 03-24-2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Biff

I like the 50 channels for $6.99 month - you pick the 50 you want...

jim
But what are "Premium" channels?

Last edited by 14Thumb; 03-24-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Added two post.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 PM

Howard Stern might not get that big bonus if this happens!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Old Ray
Consumers: 0..... Investors: 1....... Of course, but hopefully a better homogenized product.
I hope you guys are right about the investors winning this one because I've owned Sirius for many years now (as a losing investment.) It's been a money sunk endeavour and I'm hoping it will go up a little bit so that I can recoup some of the losses (I don't expect to get all my money back but it sure would be nice.)
Old 03-25-2008, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Old Ray
but hopefully a better homogenized product.
That depends on what Mel does with XM, assuming the FCC gives approval.

My concern is that the Sirius playlist formula will be applied to the XM music channels. If that happens, I'll be canceling all of my XM subscriptions.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:48 AM

The FCC will approve the merger...according to my Sirius rep that I spoke to yesterday. Sirius also launched "Back seat TV" yesterday (at least for our store chains)... and we sold out of them by the end of the day. It is basically Sirius music and three major childrens networks (Nick, Disney, and Cartoon Network). The video is flawless and the rep says that all major cable channels will be available once the additional bandwidth from XM's "Rock" and "Roll" sattelites are added into the Sirius networks. The BSTV allows for dual zone...front can play music while still sending video to the rear. The antennas are smaller than current Sirius antennas and even slightly smaller than current XM antennas. The cost of the Sirius package is 12.95 for the music and 7.00 for the additional video. The rep says that total prices will drop to nearly 6.00 for regular music and 10.00 for music/video after the merger. Also, you can get Sirius programming and XM programming together on either unit after the merger.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:37 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by collyn
Also, you can get Sirius programming and XM programming together on either unit after the merger.
I'm a SIRI shareholder, but don't claim to be an expert...

According to Karmazin's comments on Howard Stern show last week, it sounds as though the ala carte is one way... that is, if you've got XM, you'll be able to pick up selected Sirius programming at additional price, but not in reverse. I've been with Sirius since day one and was waiting on the merger results to decide what to do with my '08 HHR SS's XM module-- either swap it out for the Sirius controller when it's available or just do an XM subscription. As of now, it sounds like I'd have to pay MORE than the $12.xx/mo to have XM and Howard Stern (I do prefer several of the music offerings on Sirius, but have gotten used to their XM counterparts during my 3 month freebie after buying the car).

Quick Reply: XM-Sirius Merger ok'd by DOJ