The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Your first experience with ABS

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 11:33 AM

Your first experience with ABS

What was your first experience with ABS and how did you react?

For me, it was about 10 years ago, while visiting the in-laws for Christmas in Eirie PA.
My mother-in-law let us use her Jeep Cherokee (Fully loaded, which incedentially was our first experience with heated seats too)
So it was snowy, and slick and it was late at night as we were coming home from a dinner at an aunt, or cousin, or something.
Coming down a slight hill, at the bottom the road ends with a stop sign.
I grew up in Salt Lake City and had plenty of experience with snow driving so I did the dillegent thing and slowed down in plenty of time before the stop sign, but I must have hit a patch of ice and as I pushed on the brake the ABS went off.
Now, I've heard of ABS, people have told me all about it, I read some stuff and saw some shows and ya know...stuff

But when that thing went off...OH MY GOD
I though there was a pissed off rattler under my foot, the noise of the ABS "Motor" plus the vibrating peddle freaked me out and I nearly left the seat. Needless to say my foot went off the peddle and I ended up rolling clear through the intersection before I recovered and finally stopped.
Good thing it was late at night in a fairly small town and no one saw me, or more importantly, there was no one to hit as I rolled through the stop sign.

Second time was many years later (Like 2 years ago) and I merely flinched slightly but didn't take my foot off the brake. But I'll never forget the first time I had the ABS kick in and scare the bejeesus outta me.

So, what was some of your experiences?