Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

08' HHR Flex pipe replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 07:02 PM

Smile 08' HHR Flex pipe replacement

Hello everyone. Been lurking here for a while and have gotten solid info concerning the HHR platform exclusively from this group and YT. I came across a used 08 LS 2.2L for a good price, the owner told me the motor was shot. Checked it out, ordered a long block replacement to drop in. She's ready to come out *BUT* I admittedly have been saving the exhaust disconnections in the back for last for two reasons, one of which I learned about from this group:
The nuts/studs are not budging, I can see my classic move I've done on other flanges where I muscle the nut then it miraculously gives finally and I see a broken stud poking out of the socket on the drawback (*sigh*)
An 08' flex pipe section (doesn't look like anything back there has ever been changed) just doesn't sit right with me mating it up to a new block.

Since the nuts are not budging off the flange, should I just order a new flex pipe section, saw the pipe off about an inch down from the weld to give me and acceptable margin for the replacement, and go for a new manifold also? I have MIG and TIG sitting right here, ready.
Haven't seen a crack in the old one yet, but I suspect it won't be long after bolting everything back together that this might develop.

Thoughts?
Old 10-28-2020, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, soak the three nuts and bolts with PB Blaster or your choice of penetrating oil. Use a six point deep socket the correct size, 15 MM , an extension and a 24 inch breaker bar.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:12 AM

Long block would imply includes exhaust manifold, to me.
However, a new flex pipe is probably a good investment. There are several options, I would get one that has the bend in it, they come short and long. The long ones are easier to deal with.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Long block would imply includes exhaust manifold, to me.
However, a new flex pipe is probably a good investment. There are several options, I would get one that has the bend in it, they come short and long. The long ones are easier to deal with.
Ive never seen a long block come with an exhaust manifold, Just the Block to head complete minus head cover, oil pan and manifolds as well as all the accessories which are swapped over from the old block.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:59 AM
Administrator

In the ZZP and Pace websites, the photos show an intake manifold is included, but I don’t see the exhaust side to confirm if a manifold is included.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:39 AM

ZZP, intake is not included. Exhaust is not included either, however, if you order a new turbo with it, the manifold might be included(all assembled). Valve cover and oil pan are included.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:17 AM
Administrator

RJ, we’re discussing a 2.2 here! Not the turbocharged 2.0

https://zzperformance.com/products/l61-2-2l-long-block

https://zzperformance.com/products/ldk-long-block
Old 10-29-2020, 01:45 PM

Whoops
Old 10-29-2020, 07:03 PM

Hey everybody, thanks for replying, literally 5 min after I posted here, walked back to the bay (I presoaked the studs/nuts one last time earlier in the day) tried it again for the hell of it and got budges on all three, studs and nuts in a labeled bag right now. I still think it might be a good idea to go with a new flex at this point, I'm just getting free time to go back there again and pluck her out to check the exhaust manifold, I'll keep this thread updated
Old 10-29-2020, 07:35 PM

Could just replace the whole downpipe, no welding required.

Quick Reply: 08' HHR Flex pipe replacement