Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

2007 HHR WaterPump

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM

2007 HHR WaterPump

Hi
My wife's car being the HHR has the 2.2 motor (auto tran) in it and she uses it for work 5 days a week and now has 170,000 miles on it. The coolant has never been changed so now it is time. I would like to change out the water pump and thermostat but after looking into a bit it seems that it may not be such an easy task. It appears the pump is run off the timing chain and you need a special tool to hold it while doing the job plus I think I read that to replace the thermostat you need to remove the exhaust manifold. Is this all true and if so does anyone know of any online pics or video on how to do this job.
I'm looking into doing all of this as a preventative measure because I would think with this kind of mileage it seems to me that I am lucky it lasted this long. If it were to overheat I would hate to warp the head, blow the gasket and then at that point it's all over. If others think I'm being overly cautious I'm all ears. Thanks.....MacMan
Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Yes, sounds overdue for cooling (Dex-Cool) change..

I'd leave the water pump alone, if its doing fine..

The T-Stat does NOT require removal of exhaust. It is located on driver side, behind lots of wiring.. But not too big a deal, if you have nimble hands.

Make sure you get all the Air out when changing antifreeze. Any trapped air can cause a hot spot & trouble..

I'm sure if you look in the "How To" section you will find threads there with pics & description.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:01 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site MacMan960, Sleeper's advice sound good to me..
Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 AM

Sounds good to me! I could do without getting involved with the water pump. Just need to make sure I purge the system of air I guess.....Thanks All
Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by MacMan960
Sounds good to me! I could do without getting involved with the water pump. Just need to make sure I purge the system of air I guess.....Thanks All
Please post the proper way to purge system of air, on older systems, I just left the radiator cap off til the thermostat opened, and topped it off, and run it around the block, let it cool, checked/topped coolant, and ketch tank.

Thanks, Bill
Old 03-15-2013, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by scbill
Please post the proper way to purge system of air, on older systems, I just left the radiator cap off til the thermostat opened, and topped it off, and run it around the block, let it cool, checked/topped coolant, and ketch tank.

Thanks, Bill
The official GM line is to use a coolant flush/replace machine. But your way usually works, you just have to check it for a few days to make sure the tank is doing things right. There should always be something in the tank, more when hot, after the engine cools down the excess should suck back into the radiator. Cold level should always be the same.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Some members have reported good results, by having the front of the vehicle higher that rear.. Air will try & travel to the highest point.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:37 PM

just a dumb question ,i been trying to get the radiator cap off to purge the system so do you push down and turn counter clockwise or squeeze the cap and turn it counter clockwise? I feel dumb for asking ,lol
Old 09-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Deceased

Push and turn, and I really had to think about it.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:05 PM

From the service manual:
Filling Procedure

Notice: The procedure below must be followed. Improper coolant level could result in a low or high coolant level condition, causing engine damage.

•Close the radiator drain**** by hand.
•Install the water pump drain plug (1) if removed during the draining process.
Tighten
Tighten the plug to 22 N·m (16 lb in).
•Lower the vehicle.

Important: Use a 50/50 mixture of DEX-COOL antifreeze and clean, drinkable water. It is necessary to maintain the coolant level near the cold fill line on the surge tank to insure all the air has been purged from the cooling system.

•Slowly add a mixture of 50/50 DEX-COOL antifreeze and deionized water to the cooling system until the coolant level reaches and maintains slightly above the cold fill line on the surge tank.
•Install the coolant pressure cap.
•Start the engine.
•Run the engine at 2,000-2,500 RPM for 3 minutes.
•Allow the engine to idle for 30 seconds.
•Shut the engine off.
•Top off the coolant as necessary.
•Fill the coolant reservoir to the cold fill line.
•Inspect the cooling system for leaks.
•Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: 2007 HHR WaterPump