Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

30000 mile 2 year 489.00 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:01 PM

30000 mile 2 year 489.00 ?

hello all, just took my 2006 in for the 30000 mile inspection and was handed a flyer that said this is going to cost me almost 500 bucks. this sound kosher? i don't understand why i'm paying for anything if it's still under the 36000 mile warranty. can anyone clarify this or should i just get ready to shuck out the coin? sorry if this has been covered in other posts. i've searched but haven't found anything on this particular maintanance.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by piggiepigg
hello all, just took my 2006 in for the 30000 mile inspection and was handed a flyer that said this is going to cost me almost 500 bucks. this sound kosher? i don't understand why i'm paying for anything if it's still under the 36000 mile warranty. can anyone clarify this or should i just get ready to shuck out the coin? sorry if this has been covered in other posts. i've searched but haven't found anything on this particular maintanance.

What are the services that are to be performed?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:14 PM
jx3

hello all, just took my 2006 in for the 30000 mile inspection
Originally Posted by RUDEINC
What are the services that are to be performed?

Would this be the 25K schedule listed in the owner's manual? Pages 6-5,6-6
Online Owners Manual

i don't understand why i'm paying for anything if it's still under the 36000 mile warranty
To my understanding maintenance is an out of pocket expense (think oil change.....not covered under warranty), but if anything is found not in proper working order then you should refer back to the warranty.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
Would this be the 25K schedule listed in the owner's manual? Pages 6-5,6-6
Online Owners Manual

To my understanding maintenance is an out of pocket expense (think oil change.....not covered under warranty), but if anything is found not in proper working order then you should refer back to the warranty.
Granted, but that states a lot of checks and inspects....

What does this invoice state they are doing? $500 is a lot for "looking".
Old 01-18-2008, 01:36 PM

thank you for the replies. this appears to be all 'doing' stuff. here's the run down:
oil and filter
window washer solvent
add fuel system treatment
lubricate chassis, door locks hinges
replace anticorrosive pads on battery
replace air filter and fuel filter, adjust CO level
adjust idle speed & timing, adjust drive belts
analyze engine, rotate and balance tire, adjust tire pressure
inspect brakes, service rear brakes
transmission flush service, check cooling system for leaks
flush power steering system, fuel injection flush service
flush cooling system at 60,000
replace differential fluid
plus vehicle maint inspection:
check all vital operating fluids and top off
inspect exhaust, steering and suspension & undercarriage

489.95 plus tax

that is a lot of stuff now that i've typed it all out.
i guess you've kinda answered my question already. maintanence and warranty are not the same thing. i bought this car used last year and had a safety inspection done on it. i've watched it closely as i do all my stuff, and the car hasn't made a peep. drives perfectly, (knock knock on wood that is). so since i am nearing the end of my 36,000 mile warranty, i am starting to feel a bit better about dropping the cash on this visit. just wasn't expecting to pay anything is all. and 500 bucks would be more fun to spend on my hot rod, sigh... oh well. some of these things are stupid like change the anticorrosive pads? come on, but others like power steering flush and tranny flush, those make me perk up a bit. i guess i just wanted to make sure i was supposed to be paying for this stuff or not.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:53 PM

thank you for the replies. this appears to be all 'doing' stuff. here's the run down:
oil and filter
window washer solvent -
add fuel system treatment
adjust idle speed & timing, adjust drive belts - automatic none adjusting
analyze engine, rotate and balance tire, adjust tire pressure
inspect brakes, service rear brakes
transmission flush service, check cooling system for leaks - Not needed IMO
flush power steering system, fuel injection flush service - electric steering, what will they flush?
flush cooling system at 60,000 - ?
replace differential fluid - They are already doing a tranny flush, no differential.

489.95 plus tax

See above
IMO, your being hosed.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:02 PM

warranty...and scheduled service are two completely different things.

the warranty protects against component failure, but does not cover wearing items(brake pads, fluids, tires, filters).

some manufacturers DO offer a warranty that covers shceduled services in addition to the standard warranty.

as far as "being hosed"...as soon as you agree to let a dealership do ANY of the above work, you're setting yourself up to GET hosed.

BUT...for everything they listed, IF they are going to perform all those services, that price is FAIR as far as dealer pricing goes.

ANY licensed automotive business can perform all of that work without affecting your warranty.

FWIW, at 32k, my car needed new front brake pads, clean/adjust rears, AT flush with conditioner(you can never change your tranny fluid too often) new wiper blades...so your car may need some work...again, not warranty related
Old 01-18-2008, 02:22 PM

OK, whom is requesting this service? I don't think this is a Chevrolet Dealership, if it is I would suggest you check the owners manual, pages 6-5,and 6-6 for the 06 HHR. While some of these services are mentioned in this service, others are not. I used to work in a Chevrolet Dealership. I feel this is way too much to pay for this service. Most of these services are performed in addition to the Oil Filter change, at a reputable Oil Change service center, and during a State inspection if you are required to have this in your State. Most of this is not even related to your vehicle, but rather a cover all vehicle schedule and bill. I may suggest you try to find a local mechanic to go over your vehicle if you are unable. Try to fine a small garage or service center that can be trusted to not charge and give you service you don't need. To me this is really a lot to pay.
The reason I have to say this, My daughter moved away and is a very bright girl when it comes to cars, she can tell the Salesman more about a car than he knows. She went to a Valvoline Oil Change Center in Ohio. Two weeks later she calls me saying the check oil light comes on in her car. as which she found it to be three quarts low. She added the three quarts and to this day, the car hasn't used the first drop of oil. Bottom line, they didn't fill it when they changed it, and she said they kept telling her she needed this and needed that and she told them no she could take care of it and does, ie Windshield washer fluid, brake Fluid, Air Cleaner, etc... So I really don't know what to tell you, but I would get a second opinion. Call your local Chevrolet Dealership, with your owners manual in hand, and ask what they recommend and charge, they have to stand by their work, they sell these everyday. If you don't have an Owners Manual, there is one online here,

https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2cont...et/2006hhr.pdf
Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 PM

Use the schedule that Chevy supplies in the owners manual. Otherwise you are going to get taken!

oil and filter
window washer solvent
add fuel system treatment At 4 times the price that you could dump it in yourself
adjust idle speed & timing, adjust drive belts Idle and Timing are computer controlled and can't be adjusted
analyze engine, rotate and balance tire, adjust tire pressure - analyze engine - decoded = check for codes. Is your Engine light on? didn't think so
inspect brakes, service rear brakes - What is to service on the rear brakes they are self adjusting
transmission flush service, check cooling system for leaks Chevy States 50,000 Miles - Severe Service Schedule Only
flush power steering system, fuel injection flush service - Electric Steering Assist - nothing to flush
flush cooling system at 60,000 - Chevy States 150,000 miles (or every five years, whichever occurs first)
replace differential fluid FWD - Not Needed

489.95 plus tax
Old 01-18-2008, 03:26 PM

I looked at my owner's manual at 25K miles:
Oil change and filter
Check for leaks
Rotate tires
Check coolent/windshield washer fluid level
Check brakes