Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

31000 miles dealer service

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:35 PM

31000 miles dealer service

recommended a fuel service at just over 100 bucks. 2.4 liter, premium fuel... is this really needed? I say no, but maybe someone can convince me otherwise ?? sounds more like a snakeoil service... As i recall it used to entail a bottle of BG hooked up to the fuel rail and then a can in the gas tank... 20 bucks in fuel cleaner for 100 bucks. What does the dealer do now days ?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 PM

feul service

I bought my 2006 with 32,000 miles I replaced the windshield and had the fuel service at Pep Boys done for about $70.00 only because I wanted to start off with and noteiced no diffrence befoer or after so probably did not need it, but peace of mind, and changed the plugs the first week I had it another thing not needed, again no change in gas mileage or performance, drive for awhile and enjoy and do what you think best. have a great dayand enjoy.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 PM

I passed 31k without and am almost at 32k right now..... runs great on 93 octane Sunoco. As a preventive maintenance though, it can't hurt, but not for $100..... That sounds pricey.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by tobaccoman
recommended a fuel service at just over 100 bucks. 2.4 liter, premium fuel... is this really needed? I say no, but maybe someone can convince me otherwise ?? sounds more like a snakeoil service... As i recall it used to entail a bottle of BG hooked up to the fuel rail and then a can in the gas tank... 20 bucks in fuel cleaner for 100 bucks. What does the dealer do now days ?
Yep, that's it! I really do not know how 31K can do $100 damage to a FI system. I will bet that the same dealer "recommends" a power steering flush for $120, mine did. They looked at me like I was the stupid one when I pointed out the "electric power steering" and asked to be shown the power steering fluid reservoir.

However, I had a Toyota pickup that had the BG OIL service included at like 30K (don't remember how many miles); I was amazed that my MPG did improve by about 7 MPG for the next 6 or 9 K.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:24 PM

I bypassed that recomendation on the HHR, as I have on all my other cars. Have never had a problem, though I suppose it could always be a possibility. Since mine is a five speed, no transmission service required, electric power steering eliminates having to change PS fluid. They suggested a brake fluid flush, I suggested checking it first, and it checked out ok. Still have another year before the cooling system needs to be flushed, so my 30K service consisted of an oil and oil filter change.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Why can't you just run a bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus for $10- $15

It's a fuel system Cleaner that cleans injectors, intake valves, and combustion chambers.
Cleans and protects gas gauge sensors.

Just run your tank down and dump it in .. then fill tank and drive.

Comes in 2 sizes .. I think it's 12 oz. and 20 oz.

1 oz. per gallon.

I have used it for a long time and it's a great product.

Last edited by Silverfox; 06-11-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:18 AM

I scoured the owner's manual (I have 2008) and saw no requirement to service fuel system within the maintenance schedule. One thing it does say is to "inspect fuel system for damage or leaks". This is to be done every 25k miles.

I own 7 vehicles ranging from 1964 to 2008 and never had a "fuel system service" performed on any of them. I did have a fuel service performed on a former vehicle, but that was due to a fuel system problem. It was a 1993 Chevy Blazer with the 4.3 HO CPI. It exhibited sluggishness and inconsistent acceleration, even after a fuel pressure test was performed. In this case, the fuel system service was effective and provided a high level of value for the money spent.

Dealers often suggest maintenance that is not required by the manufacturer. Case in point is when a dealer told my wife that the brake fluid in her Olds Bravada required replacement every 30k due to moisture infiltration. At that time, the car had around 35k mi. Of course, we did not have the service done, because this was ridiculous. The car now has 100k miles, the original brake pads were replaced at 95k and the brake system still works flawlessly.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 AM

In my opinion the complete brake system fluid should be flushed and replaced with new fresh fluid at every brake linning replacement service.

Even more important if you are a hard driver and heat the linnings up on a regular basis.

Most reputable repair shops will do this flush as part of the job.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:12 AM

Years ago every brake job, at least those done by any decent mechanic, included re-building the wheel cylinders, which required bleeding the brake system, so a good portion if not all the brake fluid always was changed when new shoes went on. Now cylinders and calipers are rarely rebuilt, unless there is a problem with one. As far as flushing the system, frequency really depends on how the car is driven and the climate the car is operated in. Some cars may need it done at 30,000, some not until 100,000 miles or more. Its not difficult to chemically check the fluid for contaminants, so as long as thats done and it checks out ok, I would skip that service.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Deceased

This has been mentioned before, but change you brand of gasoline every once and a while. Different brands have varying levels of additives and detergents, so running something other than your favorite juice through can help by giving the injectors a dose of something new, thereby removing some deposits.

Its also good to use a fuel system cleaner, but do so sparingly as they can be very harsh on some system components, like they say "read and follow the directions".

Quick Reply: 31000 miles dealer service