Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

air filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 AM
tjm

air filter

Has anyone heard of a K&N air filter voiding warranty, I am pretty sure that is what our salesman told us, has anyone run a K&N air filter.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 AM

I'm running a K&N filter in the original air-box, every time I go to the dealer I have the original air-filter(maybe 700 miles on it) sitting in the passenger seat. Everytime I pick the car up, they tell me that they have cleaned, oiled or done nothing to the K&N, and the original air-filter stays on the seat. No Problems. Find a "hometown" dealer, where they like working on cars.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by tjm
Has anyone heard of a K&N air filter voiding warranty, I am pretty sure that is what our salesman told us, has anyone run a K&N air filter.

Thanks
GM has stated multiple times they don't like K&N filters (for good reasons) and won't cover any issues due to the filter. Obviously the dealers can do whatever they want.

I don't think GM will put in a warranty block but they won't cover repairs caused by the oil or lack of filtering (assuming they determine that is the cause). And while we can argue, they can delay far longer than we can.

A simple test of this is to have your dealer put in a warranty claim for "mass contaminated with oil from K&N filter" and then watch what GM does.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 PM

tjm, one of the first things I did after getting my '06 w/ 52,000 miles on it was throw away the stock air filter and replace it with a K&N in the stock housing. That was 57,000 miles ago. BUT, the only time it has ever been to a dealer was for a recall (no point since it was out of warranty b/4 I bought it), I don't over oil the filter and let it dry properly b/4 reinstalling, and I clean the MAF every 25,000 miles. No problems and it's never thrown a code for the MAF.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM

Bought my HHR at Selman Chevrolet in Orange, Ca. When I was offered a free oil change and tire rotation I took it in with a K&N filter that I ordered online. They installed it for me (at no charge) and said no problem with the warranty and I have that in writing on the no charge for service invoice. I always have used K&N's with never a problem. Have had a K&N in my Z-28 for 15 years. So far so good. No worries.....O.C. HHR
Old 04-22-2010, 02:11 PM

running with a K&N since 48 miles on the odometer.

been to a few different dealerships (Conn., NJ., and Ohio) no one has ever mentioned it.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:14 PM

I think the real issue is that the OP's salesman may have stated they won't cover filter related issues with a K&N filter. If that's the dealer's stance, then find another dealer.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
tjm

i actually meant to put this in the SS area but wow got lots of response here too, i am in canada and got the shock of my life when they replaced the air filter and air filter alone waas 61 dollars, i have never spent that kind of money on a air filter except for k&n, so i wanted to look at some options, and think i will be getting qoutes and shopping around for everyting from now on lol.
thanks for all the responses will talk to hubby and see, original warranty is gone, but i still have total plus which just had to replace stereo and links, and now sounds like something else to do with steering column again.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:22 PM
ecl

Ive been running a K&N for a couple thousand miles now and have had to CELs come on. Both the same code and been told it could be caused by the filter. Im thinking about going back to a regular filter since the CELs have only come on during hard take offs and then goes into the reduced engine power mode. Have not taken it in to the dealer since I have a code reader and its only been twice and a lest a thousand miles between it doing it so Im not sure what Im going to do yet.