Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Best Location to Tie in Battery Maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 PM

Best Location to Tie in Battery Maintainer

As it turns out, because of the prolonged snow in the NE region, my HHR SS is sitting in the barn for longer than expected. Last winter I was able to run it on fair but cold weekends. For fear of the battery discharging to an unacceptable degree whereas I would need the dealer to reprogram the keyless remotes, I'd rather put a battery maintainer on the system in order to keep it active.

I have used multistage maintainers on my '64 Bel Air and my '87 Silverado for years, so I know that they work. They are active at this very moment. But that is not the question (whether they work or not)...

My question is that with the HHR having an electrical system that measures resistance for many functions though a logical process, is there any unwritten cautions that must be adhered to if connecting the maintainer to the terminals under the hood? Is there any measured reference point between the battery terminals and those at the BCM that would create a problem? It's just that it would be easier to attach/detach if I were to access the connections in the engine compartment.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Deceased

Well just to offer my two cents worth, even though the terminals under the hood may offer better access, I'd go directly to the battery myself. I'm just very cautious about going to the under hood access after so many horror stories from members who've used them for jump starting. Maybe someone here has used a maintainer regularly and can provide some concrete input.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:36 PM

We hook it up to the terminals under the hood. Did that last year, and am doing it this year.

Besides, isn't the hookup under the hood made for that, and jumping?

You mentioned reprogramming the fobs if the battery goes dead? Is that true?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Since I ride my Bikes as much as possible, my Panel sets a lot at times.
I've been hooking up under the hood for over 1.5 yrs with one of my tenders, I use .75 mA tenders (like your pic) & never had any issues..
Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
As it turns out, because of the prolonged snow in the NE region, my HHR SS is sitting in the barn for longer than expected. Last winter I was able to run it on fair but cold weekends. For fear of the battery discharging to an unacceptable degree whereas I would need the dealer to reprogram the keyless remotes, I'd rather put a battery maintainer on the system in order to keep it active.

I have used multistage maintainers on my '64 Bel Air and my '87 Silverado for years, so I know that they work. They are active at this very moment. But that is not the question (whether they work or not)...

My question is that with the HHR having an electrical system that measures resistance for many functions though a logical process, is there any unwritten cautions that must be adhered to if connecting the maintainer to the terminals under the hood? Is there any measured reference point between the battery terminals and those at the BCM that would create a problem? It's just that it would be easier to attach/detach if I were to access the connections in the engine compartment.

No cigarette lighter adapter with that charger! That would seem a convenient temporary connection.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:19 AM

I've connected a smart charger to the underhood terminals several times, when I knew the car would not be used for a period of time. Have never had a problem using those underhood connections.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
You mentioned reprogramming the fobs if the battery goes dead? Is that true?
The 2008 does have a problem with losing the programming on the receiver with dead batteries. Then the dealer will have to reprogram. The OP does not say what year his vehicle is!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:17 PM

When I am not using my HHR for extended periods (more than 1 week) I have a 2A Sears maintainer and connect it to the terminals under the hood.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:52 PM

I ended up getting a Schumacher XM1-5 unit that is microprocessor controlled. This unit has some intelligence in that it does not supply voltage until it is connected to the battery properly (idiot proof). It doesn't spark if you short the conductors either (must look at voltage reflection from the load to initialize). It has a red indicator lamp for AC power, another red indicator lamp to show that the battery is connected properly/ready for charging, a yellow "charging" lamp that stays steady in charging mode or blinks in "charge abort" mode, a desulfication mode and a green indicator lamp for "fully charged/maintain" mode.

I hooked it up yesterday on my 2008 HHR SS at the proper locations under the hood as suggested by the others in the group. The proper lamps lit (red, red & yellow) and the unit was in charge mode yesterday. I just checked on it today when I returned home from work and now it's in maintain mode (red, red & green). Guess that it's the right unit and hooked up in the right place. It was 2F ambient this morning and I haven't run the HHR since January 3rd when I returned from Florida, so I guess it was a good time to get one of these things.

Nicer than the other maintainers that I have on my Bel Air and Silverado and the kicker is that it was cheaper. Advance Auto Parts is supposed to sell them, but I couldn't find any there. I ended up finding them in stock and on the shelf at my local Walmart (hate Wally World, but they had what I needed at the time) for about $21.

http://www.batterychargers.com/Produ...tName=94026970
Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

87-

The Battery Tender Juniors* I use are "idiot proof" as well. Can't hook up backwards or spark them. Light is red for correct hook up & charging, & goes green for float.

What I like about the one you have linked here is it can do 6V or 12V & the unit recognizes the need.. Perfect for my Flathead Harley 6V .. But only 2 year warranty.....

My Battery Tender* Jr's have 5 year..

Wally world is handy if they have what ya need. Good price too..

Thanks for the link..

Quick Reply: Best Location to Tie in Battery Maintainer