Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Brake Bleed Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 01:54 AM

Brake Bleed Issue

I was Bleeding my brakes a few weekends ago after some poor mechanic work left me with spongy brakes still, and i could not find the right size to fit on the back bleeder valve. It is the Drum brake of an 08 LS. everywhere i look only gives me the size of the disc brakes bleeder valve which is a 10 mm but never the disc brake. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-20-2018, 08:20 AM
Technical Moderator

My memory is thinking 7 mm.

Do you know the proper pattern is RR,LF,LR,RF? The MC is split diagonally.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome
Posting up what type previous work and parts were replaced would help us to see where the problem is.
If you're only looking for the bleeder nut size, then disregard the sentence above.

(sorry. I don't know the size. I've got 4 wheel discs.)
Old 06-20-2018, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the info so far! Ya I just need the bleeder valve size, i'm not replacing anything, just trying to get the air out of my line! It's the RL tire and I tried a 7 mm and it was too small so I went I size up and the 8 mm and it was too big. But I also thought it was wierd to have it a 7.5 mm when those are very hard to come by.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Hmm. You don't get air in the system unless you've replaced parts or have a fluid leak somewhere. (or someone did an unneeded, bad bleeding attempt)
Old 06-20-2018, 12:59 PM

In between 7mm and 8mm, is 9/32" and 19/64". Shouldn't be one of those, perhaps the bleeder is just messed up. Maybe you can clean it up with a file and get your 7mm wrench on it.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:53 PM

I misread what you sad firemangeorge! I had a shop do my brakes, replace a rotor and put in a new master cylinder but they never bled my brakes the proper way, at first only bleeding one and then bleeding them all. There was still spongy brakes and I let them know that and they said they didnt know what the problem was. I imagine they couldn't open the same bleeder valve I'm having trouble with and didnt admit it. Lol, I'll try to clean it up more and see if I can get a 7 mm to fit on it!
Old 06-20-2018, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.M
I misread what you sad firemangeorge! I had a shop do my brakes, replace a rotor and put in a new master cylinder but they never bled my brakes the proper way, at first only bleeding one and then bleeding them all. There was still spongy brakes and I let them know that and they said they didnt know what the problem was. I imagine they couldn't open the same bleeder valve I'm having trouble with and didnt admit it. Lol, I'll try to clean it up more and see if I can get a 7 mm to fit on it!
I can't believe how many people on this forum have said the same thing about repair shops they took their cars to for various repairs.

Is it labor rate or convenience to where they live that this happens? Do these shops they go to have registered repair shop numbers? In NYS they do, and if repairs are not up to par you can report them to the state.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:30 PM

There are a lot of fly by night garages out there... whether there is no reporting body available or they just hope the customer doesn't bother, (or doesn't know it's not repaired properly), I don't know. When you do find a good shop, it's like finding gold.

It's not just automotive either... check out roofers, painters, or landscapers. It's the same deal.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:16 PM

The shop I went to I actually trusted a lot. My father is the district manager of some conocos where I live. A guy did get fired a few days later for something completely unrelated though.

Quick Reply: Brake Bleed Issue