Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
Warning, Warning, Warning empty the glove compartment before triggering the tabs or it will empty it'self.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:57 AM
jx3

Warning, Warning, Warning empty the glove compartment before triggering the tabs or it will empty it'self.
Unless you have so much crap stuffed in there. Don't have to empty mine, its all wedged in and holds itself in place.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:59 AM

Mine is about that full....... Think it would break my foot if it did fall out.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I would do it as stated, every year or 12k miles. Since I don't do the mileage, I'm at the years. I replaced it when I bought it, and I just replaced it less than a month ago now. I figure with my asthma and my allergies it can't hurt to replace it.
So a great way to celebrate the HHRs bday every year. Kinda like how my company sends me for an annual physicall in my bday month.

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Mine is about that full....... Think it would break my foot if it did fall out.
no doubt it's due to owning an HHR with little to no cubbie storage space.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:59 PM

Red face

color me "stupid."

Yesterday I took another look and actually found the filter, thanks to the photos posted here. I had misinterpreted the line drawings in the manual and hadn't actually opened the compartment.

And YES, it does look skanky. Replacing it a.s.a.p.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:41 PM

glad ya got it figured out
Old 07-12-2010, 08:55 AM

Pulled mine out and washed it. Should be good for a while. ALso found this site on another board I belong to. They seem to be rated well on that site.
http://www.logical-source.com/2008-CHEVROLET-HHR.html
Old 07-15-2010, 08:07 AM

I just checked mine (new owner). It was nasty and by the look of it and it only had 22K miles, it never was replaced.

I got mine from AutoZone for $14.00 made by STP (but who cares). It took like 3-min to install, located right behind the glove-box.

Post number 27, that is a good price for a filter.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:27 PM

I changed the cabin air filter last week. The instructions were great, but there are a few things I can add.

First: 2009 1LT.

The tabs referred to are on the sides of the opening for the glove box. They hold one pin on each side so the gb does not fall open. They need to be pushed -away- from the gb. A 'safe' screwdriver would be handy here. I was able to use my fingers, though.

Once the gb is out of the way (in my case, a few loose items came out, but a few minutes later, the rest slithered out), the place where the filter is located is hard to see. Mine was black plastic in a dark area but I knew it was there because there was a DELCO placard. You have to reach up to the top of that opening - you will feel three things that feel like tabs, which is good, because that is what they are. Mine were hard to open, possibly because the care is still fairly new and this is the first time it's been done. The filter itself is very soft and care is needed to make sure it doesn't tear - this applies to going in as well as coming out.

You then flip the flap up and snap the tabs back up. Snapping the tabs back up is something of a chore as the fit is tight. It felt like I was not getting the flap up completely, so I tried to push the filter in farther. Thankfully, I was satisfied before I damaged the filter, but I do wish that it had 'stouter' cardboard. I would not have noticed another quarter in the price of the filter.

It was an easy task and will be easier next time. Learning just how much force is needed to open and close things is useful.

I wasn't timing myself, but it probably took 10 minutes.

I could not find anything locally, (I think "find" is the important word here) so I ordered from parts.com. They took what seemed like a long time to get it to me and had to get my permission to raise the cost of shipping. I bought the DELCO filter, and like I said, I would have been happier to have a heavier built filter.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:35 AM

OK so we all know it's a good thing to replace and it's easy enough to do in a few minutes. The IMPORTANT question is: what's the darn part number for the in-cabin air filter!!!??? I need to change mine since it's a year old and I'm too lazy right now to do a search + look up the post(s) with the number lol.

Later
Allex

Quick Reply: Cabin Air Filter