Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Checking and replacing the air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 04:51 PM

new hhr owner ....first post hello from canada ... this is probably a stupid question ...but i'll risk it anyway has anyone thought of cutting all the extra plastic off the top of the stock air cleaner just to clean it up a bit . it looks like it would be about the same size as some of the other aftermarket CAI boxes after that was done .then if it was possable to find a good free flow filter to replace the stock one eg.k&n (without the oil ) this would clean up the engine compartment somewhat. no dealer problems with warranty or computer malfunctions . i think you would also have to extend the cold air pipe from the fender well down lower for true cold air but i can't see why this would'nt work . seams like the stock one flows with little restriction it just looks fugly . i also think getting rid of all that plastic and foam might give it a more pleasing sound when you put your foot into it ...... input anyone????
Old 09-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Welcome MR GRAY......

(with info and help from a former member) I did as you suggested and cut the OEM airbox in an attempt to gain more room around the engine for routing additional air intakes to the box. Came out pretty well. But, GM made me a deal a couldn't refuse and I switched to the GMPP.

Oh and by the way.....

YOU AS WELL AS MANY OTHERS have a misconception of the air intake. The opening you see in the passenger wheel well is an access port to a bolt that I believe is to the motor mount (you can see it, if you look with a flash light).

The air is actually pulled from the front and bottom of the radiator/engine compartment between the sheet metal. Could it be better....you bet. And that is precisely what my little mod was, as described above.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 AM

I did the air filter change this morning. What a PITA. I took me about two hours. I needed a T-20 drive for all the torx screws. Doing this in the garage, on a cold engine, with a fan blowing on me in the Florida fall weather (mid 70s, but still humid) and sweating up a storm. Another Mexican filter was found at Advanced Auto for $21+.

After 37.5K miles on the clock, the old air filter wasn't that dirty. I'm hoping that everything went back together ok. It was hard to get those back grommet plugs to snap back into the air box, and to get the bottom tube back into the the air box.

I printed out the first thread and I'm glad I did as this was helpful.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:30 PM

Going to give this a try on Thurday. Looks like I may as well change the plugs while I have it all apart eh?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:10 AM

In reference to post #16 , the felt you see is probably a sound deadener..in the "old days" this was done with a necked down tube leading into the air cleaner. Remember( if you can go back that far) how when you flipped the air cleaner lid over how you could almost duplicate the sound of a 4 barrel carb .On a lot of vehicles you could cut a tenth a sec of your quarter times by eliminating this narrowed tube . This is just a modern version of it. Much the same as the padding under your carpet.Over time I'd be suspect of it coming apart and getting into the filter.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:08 PM

Was attempting to remove the air filter from my 2006 hhr 2.2l after checking the owners manual. Wasn't sure how hard should pull up on the cover and if i had everything necessary disconnected. Remembered this forum and thought if i was having trouble then probably someone else has experienced the same.
Did a search on air filter removal and found this thread and it's very good 'how to remove it' . This thread made all the difference in the world. Still , i will say
it is a b**ch to get it back on and secured to the grommets and in correct position. Thanks
Old 12-19-2008, 03:19 PM

i put a little vaseline on the grommets, and she just slides right back in place. next time i took it off, to put a K&N element in, it came off real fast and easy. it sure was a bear to get off the first time though. like you i thought i was going to break something!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:38 PM

Followed your directions and photos. They were a huge help. It took all of 10 minutes. No big deal. Thanks.jim b
Old 04-29-2009, 03:45 PM

Air Filter change

WOW.. Great write up. I just changed mine, and put in a K&N. No need to do that again for a while. When I had to do it on my motorhome, and saw how much fun I was gonna have with that one, I put in a K&N also.

There is a vast wealth of knowledge in this Forum, and since my 08 HHR is new to me, reading every night from all the posts. Thanks a lot guys and gals..
Old 06-21-2009, 04:43 PM

I agree, Great post and pictures.
~it's great to see people who love their HHR on the internet~

Quick Reply: Checking and replacing the air filter