Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

CHECKLIST for purchasing a used HHR

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

CHECKLIST for purchasing a used HHR

As time goes on, we are seeing a lot of new members coming on board having just purchased a used HHR, or contemplating purchasing one.

So, here is a list of things to check out on that used HHR -

Courtesy of our member Silverfox who put together this list:

1. I would Change the Cabin Filter.
If you use AC Delco be sure to get the OEM Replacement only.
Part #22731072.
The lower priced Professional one is a piece of Junk and will buckle when you insert it.
Look on Rock Auto or E Bay.

2. Remove the Cover on both Fuse/Relay boxes and Reseat (push down tight) all the fuses etc.
There is One under the hood and the other inside the cabin on the Passenger side in the engine console.

3. Service the Cooling System within every at least every 150,000 miles or 5 years which ever comes first per Owners Manual recommendations.
I would service @ 100,000 miles or 5 years myself.

Use Only ... Dex-Cool 50/50 Pre mix or,
Dex-Cool with 50% Distilled Water only added.
You can buy Distilled Water in Gallon Jugs at Walmart for $1 ea.

Mix thoroughly before installing. You can If necessary follow Install Instructions in your HHR owners Manual or just take it to a Dealer or Mechanic to do the job.
Either way after it has been done I would carefully monitor your "DIC" temp gauge for a couple days or so to make sure there is not an Over Heating Problem from an incorrect or incomplete installation.

4. I would also consider replacing the Thermostat based on the vehicle Mileage at the same time as the Cooling System Service and while the coolant has already been drained.
If you decide to replace it .. Use ONLY a Genuine 180 Degree AC Delco Factory Replacement Thermostat or suffer the possibility of an early failure or poor performance and/or operating issues from most aftermarket offerings.

5. Lube all door, hood, rear hatch, rear seat latches sparingly with grease. I use White Lithium grease available in a small tube.

6. Consider cleaning the MAF Sensor and Throttle body, using "OLD BLUES" materials and procedures.

7. Either replace Wiper Blades or Wipe with 90% Alcohol to clean them. I use a clean paper towel.

8. Have the Battery Tested if you have no record of when last replaced.

*** DO NOT WAIT FOR YOUR BATTERY TO FAIL ***

9. Check All Tires for Aging Conditions and Proper Air Pressures.
Look on your Driver Side door jam for an ID Plate with the Correct Pressures for the Stock tire size.
If you have a Torque Wrench, check all 4 wheels for 100 Ft. Pounds per wheel.

All LS and 1LT HHR's should have the 5 plastic bolts that hold the wheel covers on checked to see if they are all even and snug.
Be very careful to not over tighten these bolts. I just go around and around tightening a little each time until they are all snug and even.

Test drive your HHR to see if you are having any vibration due to Tire Balance.
Pick a smooth road if possible and increase speed up to approx. 65-70 mph just long enough to see if the are "any speeds" that you have an issue.
If Yes, then address the issue right away.
Out of balance tires are not only irritating and uncomfortable but over time they are hard on front end parts and the whole car in general. Also a vibration could be a tire separation/broken belt or other issue that needs attention.
Also look at any Tire Wear Patterns to see if you need some Front End parts replaced as well as a Front Alignment.
I have found it pays to pick a good shop for front end issues including the alignment.
Many front end shop are totally careless on setting center steering properly because either they do not think it is important or to lazy to test drive it for that final setting which is important to me.

10. Check Rear Shocks for Leaking.

11. Check air in Spare Tire if you have one. Not all HHR's have a spare tire.
Inflate to 60lbs. psi

12. Make sure you have a working Jack and Lug Nut Handle.

13. I would do a walk around and see if all your lights are working including Low and High Beams and Back Up lights.

14. I would initially park a new HHR in a place where you can see if it is leaking any fluids so you will not get a big surprise one fine day.

15. Check your Wiper fluid bottle, and I recommend you use a product that will protect your system down to below zero or based on your location for winter driving.

16. I recommend starting off with using 3 or 4 tanks of new fresh fuel with Full Mix Ratio of "Techron Fuel Additive" as a mini tune up for your injectors and the whole fuel system.
Personally I do this once a year but only drive approx. 20,000 miles per year.
That goes hand in hand with an Immediate Oil and Filter change when picked up and another change within the first 3000 miles.

Don't forget the HHR's use 5/30W Oil and any 2011 models require 5/30W Oil with the Dexos label on the container.

17. I would also "Manually Adjust" the rear brakes ASAP.
I have it done at Chevrolet because they know me and do it on the cheap, but it is easy to do your self. Pretty much the same procedure as the older cars without automatic adjusters. Use a brake spoon or a proper screw driver will work. This issue is discussed on this site an several places if you need more information.
Doing this procedure will save your front Brakes/Rotors and give you better performance.
Do it fairly regularly based on the miles you drive and the conditions.
Lots of in town stop and go ... more frequently.

The Above Recommendations are what I do, and there may be additional items I have not mentioned here, but this is a pretty good place to start.
Each Used HHR has different mileage and in different condition as well as the Year and Model differences, so each one may need additional items checked or replaced.

Silverfox

PS: and add to the above - Check the status of any recalls. Especially the one pertaining to the ignition recall. (courtesy firemangeorge)
https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls

Last edited by donbrew; 04-02-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: added PS at the bottom,added link
Old 04-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Administrator

A nice check list! Thanks Silverfox and Whopper.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Might I add: Check the status of any recalls. Especially the one pertaining to the ignition recall.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Might I add: Check the status of any recalls. Especially the one pertaining to the ignition recall.
ahhhh good one - I'll add it to the initial posting as a ps - thanks man.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Great info, for sure.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:41 PM

I would like to strongly suggest having the timing chain and balance shaft chain replaced if it has never been done before to help avoid catastrophic failure. Since it seems to be a chronic issue due to the three changes that GM has made to the timing chain tensioner. Would be extremely beneficial. ._.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Replacing all that can be quite expensive, and to replace them without inspecting first would be rather foolhardy, especially with low mileage cars.

We also have to consider that many members have very high mileage with no problems at all. Good maintenance procedures seem to really help in the long run - ie: our Oldblue seems to be a prime example of that.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Keep on rolling! Ahh, REO Speedwagon! I’ve found as I have said many times( ok, typed)
Keep it clean and drive it often. Clean oil is essential, and listen to your engine the chain will let you know when that front guide brakes.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Very nice!