Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Cleaning the interior

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:25 AM

Cleaning the interior

The HHR I bought has a slight dog odor. We've done all the tricks from charcoal to baking soda, it killed a lot of the odor but it's still lingering. Today we're going to shampoo and clean the inside. I want to know first though if it is safe to use carpet cleaner/shampoo on the fabric seats and headliner? I have a can of Turtle Wax Oxy Power Out with Odor-X to get rid of the odor while cleaning. If not, what would you recommend?
Old 12-27-2008, 08:29 AM

Fabreeze for pet odors works really good. I would avoid carpet cleaner on the headliner since it may cause problems with the glues that hold the fabric together.

SPPD
Old 12-27-2008, 08:36 AM

Although possible a temporary fix,I always use Lemon Pledge wipes to clean all the plastic and leather parts of all my cars.It cleans well and leaves a nice lemonly smell.Target sells a cheaper wipe in lemon also.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:50 AM

Thumbs up THANKS and ?

Originally Posted by Little Red Wagon
Although possible a temporary fix,I always use Lemon Pledge wipes to clean all the plastic and leather parts of all my cars.It cleans well and leaves a nice lemonly smell.Target sells a cheaper wipe in lemon also.
i was wondering what would be good for my leather. i have saddle soap , and armor all leather care gel , but i haven't tryed either. i am also wondering what is good for the headliner. for cleaning around the house i have found that just plain water works for many things - i learned this doing commercial cleaning and trying to cut the cost- why waste chemicals if not needed. also i heard people using endust on wheels at car shows.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:59 AM

i have used

Originally Posted by StreetHHR
The HHR I bought has a slight dog odor. We've done all the tricks from charcoal to baking soda, it killed a lot of the odor but it's still lingering. Today we're going to shampoo and clean the inside. I want to know first though if it is safe to use carpet cleaner/shampoo on the fabric seats and headliner? I have a can of Turtle Wax Oxy Power Out with Odor-X to get rid of the odor while cleaning. If not, what would you recommend?
carpet cleaner on seats many times. be sure to put towels on them for the 1st few times you ride. there will probably still be some dirt that just didn't come out but it will when you sit in it. towels are also good to clean the seats and carpet. i do not think that water is good for the seats. but i have some mini van seats outside in the weather right now and they seem to be ok , and i don't really care if they are not.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:56 AM

there is a product out called the odor gun its a black spray bottle and orange writting it works greate my friend bought a car used and the owner smoked init for ever it reeked and he sprayed the inside of it 2 times wetting every surface in the car and the smell was totaly gone. there are several other products im sure work just as well like Fabreez but they are all sented. I have used a product from my chevy dealer to remove smells it worked fantastic it involved my Z71 and a very sick Saint Barnard with the runs after shampooing it still stunk the spray took care of it