Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Dipstick Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
funny nobody mentioned how long the bottle needs to drain into the engine to get all the oil from it..as the oil tends to stick to the sides..so really, without measuring it, how does one know exatly how much oil is in the pan? And does 1 mm of oil level realy matter that much? When did oil changes turn to rocket science? And seriously..when is the last time anyone saw an oil related failure that wasnt a defectie part? People have been changing oil for years just dumping the bottle till empty and never..never had any problems. What i read here is its ok to let the oil go below the max but not above it..Do we need to measure the dipstick to make sure its the proper length to start with?or that the oil pan gasket has the exat amount of crush to allow proper oil level to be indicated? do you see how silly this whole discussion is? I dare you to ask the dealer mechanic how they change oil...same as JiffyLube I bet,,exept they tighten the drain plug and filter.
Well the only reason I was asking was because I wanted to be sure I was reading it right because this is what it consistently looks like with each oil change, and I'm putting in the correct amounts.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Woody: I totally agree. Unfortunately what we have seen with this thread is a byproduct of the limitations of communicating on the Internet along with a dose of misreading and misinterpretation. But it does get frustrating trying to explain that you need to gauge the oil level via the use of the dipstick, and not get sidetracked over 5 quarts resulting in it being slightly overfull. Like you said, it ain't rocket science - put in enough to just fill it.

Peace

Ps: did you say we need to wait 30 mins for the oil container to drain, or not? *GRIN*
Old 07-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
funny nobody mentioned how long the bottle needs to drain into the engine to get all the oil from it..as the oil tends to stick to the sides..so really, without measuring it, how does one know exactly how much oil is in the pan? And does 1 mm of oil level really matter that much? When did oil changes turn to rocket science? And seriously..when is the last time anyone saw an oil related failure that wasn't a defectie part? People have been changing oil for years just dumping the bottle till empty and never..never had any problems. What i read here is its ok to let the oil go below the max but not above it..Do we need to measure the dipstick to make sure its the proper length to start with?or that the oil pan gasket has the exat amount of crush to allow proper oil level to be indicated? do you see how silly this whole discussion is? I dare you to ask the dealer mechanic how they change oil...same as JiffyLube I bet,,exept they tighten the drain plug and filter.
I agree with you "Woody". It's not rocket science (but getting close because of the technology that is employed). But the OP asked a question and he IS entitled to other owner OPINIONS. This IS a forum.

I find particularly interesting your statement on the dealer mechanic fills and Jiffy Lube. I was thinking the same thing. Technicians, whether at a dealer or an independent, check the "book" for the capacity indicated by the manufacturer and check out the required quart bottles from the stock room (did anybody EVER get the unused/excess quantity from the fifth bottle....you paid for it). Or if using a pressurized bulk oil system, they dial the needed capacity, again 5 in this example, and pump. A final check of the "Max" line on the dipstick (I do wonder how many exceed the line, however). And your ready to go. 30 minute oil change....GUARANTEED.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:40 PM

re

never fails...oil threads make me chuckle
Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by 08bowtie
never fails...oil threads make me chuckle
I love oil. It's an investment to me.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:45 PM

Its all fun....
Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 PM

In 1954 I bought a VW bug, for oil I bought a 5 gallon oil can from Sears and a glass bottle with a metal nozzleon top, I dont remeber the cost but probaly about $0.15 a quart o for the old days.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:53 PM

Amazing thread. Put friggin 5 qts in the thing and let's go already. A quarter of a qrt either way full or low will do absolutely nothing to the engine. Now if you put 6 full or 7 in now we have an issue. Where ever your max line is that's where it should stop but you would only worry about that if the thing burns oil and your adding it later, why you ask? Because when you put 5 qrts in when you changed it you knew it was the FRIGGIN RIGHT AMOUNT. AHHH NOW I'M PISSED, I'M GOING TO CHANGE MY OIL, LET IT SIT FOR FIVE MINUTES DRIPPING ADD 5 QRTS AND AT AROUND 150,000 MILES IT WILL BLOW UP ANYWAY. Haha that was fun and a waste of a post lmao. You guys have way too much time, oh crap now I do too!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:06 PM

who's to say that the dipsticks are all exactly the same length either. a bit too low or a bit to high; big deal. as long as the level remains constant from oil change to oil change is whats important. as a matter of fact, we had a tractor on the farm that always used oil. we finally realised that the oil level stabilized at a certain level on the stick below the full mark. it found its own level and stayed there even though it was below the full mark. ran for years with "low" oil level.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 PM

Oh, geez I wanna play. The EcoTec engine is European, meaning that they actually are converting liters to quarts for us Americans. I will bet that 5 liters is just over/under 5 quarts. Depends on the Tech writer who edited the manual! Most just say liter=quart and forget about it.

Quick Reply: Dipstick Oil Level