Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Does the type of washer fluid matter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 02:08 PM

Does the type of washer fluid matter?

I just bought a 2010 HHR LT (silver, 2.2). This will be the newest car I've owned, so I want to do things right. I've happily spent my Sunday morning learning all about which windshield wipers to get (the ones on the car are dead), but didn't see much about the washer solvent. The owner's manual says to use "Optikleen" cleaner, and someone in the wiper blade discussions mentioned RainX brand, but how much does it matter? Will the cheap stuff damage, or is it fine?

I'm in the Los Angeles area, and particularly lately, dust is more prevalent than rain (drought), so I;d like to be able to use the wash process frequently.

hilcat

Last edited by hilcat; 05-09-2015 at 02:33 PM. Reason: I have a 2.2 engine, not a 2.4
Old 05-09-2015, 02:19 PM

When I was in Vegas and freezing was not a problem, I used Aero space 303 tablets which were made for that purpose or distilled water with about 1.5 ounces of denatured alcohol per-gallon of distilled water. 303 was a water mix too.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

You can buy cheap fluid, and you can buy expensive fluid. None of them will cause damage. Some will supposedly remove bugs better, and some are supposedly better in the rain - it's a personal preference. Just use whatever is handy - it's not really something to obsess over (although some might - ....).

Just make sure to use winter fluid for cold weather, as you do not want the system to freeze up, and it does help to clear frost quickly.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:44 PM

Just make sure to use winter fluid for cold weather, as you do not want the system to freeze up, and it does help to clear frost quickly.
If it freezes you will have problems! The pump can crack, the line to the rear can crack, the jug can crack among other things.

Use whatever you can afford, just use -20F fluid in the winter.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Deceased

X2 to posts #3 & #4!

During the Winter of 2013-2014 we had sub-zero temps here in NC, and I froze up the washer systems in two of my HHR's even though they are garaged.

The fluid reservoirs and pumps aren't cheap, and they'll split and crack with depressing ease if the fluid freezes.

"Optikleen" is GM's brand name for the washer fluid sold by their parts departments, they've been using that name since the 1950's at least.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:59 PM

Thanks, guys. Ah, if ONLY we had winters that even hinted at "cold." Freezing isn't a concern here; the communal reaction would be like Atlanta when they predict snow - the stores sell out of milk and bread, then everyone drives like bumpercars. And it I do somehow, on a crazy whim, decide to go skiing, I'll let someone else drive.

(In my previous car, the washer fluid tank was damaged, so I never had to worry about the fluid.)
Old 05-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Administrator

In our summer I use one gallon of tap water and an once of Dawn dish soap .
This solution takes care of highway grime and crud the birds and trees throw or drop on the windshield.
In winter I use a cold weather -45 degrees washer fluid $2.99 for a gallon jug
Old 05-10-2015, 09:05 PM

I use nothing but rainX washer fluid, the water runs off the windshield and at night, at highway speeds 50 mph+ I don't need my wipers. I do mostly highway driving, that are unlit, so if there's no glare from lights, the water beads right off and I can see great, plus I get more mileage from wiper blades.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:01 AM

I also use RrainX fluid and no problems so far. It helps remove the dirt and bugs without causing any streaks.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:00 PM

Old Blue,

You continue to teach me new things. Soap does sound like a nice additive in summer.

I use orange stuff in winter months and blue stuff in summer. I can always get a visual that way - really, it's green most of the time, but if it's not orange in winter, I know it could freeze. Yeah, I keep it simple, if I can.

Quick Reply: Does the type of washer fluid matter?