Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Friendly experience with ATP AT-205 Reseal

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 08:56 AM

Friendly experience with ATP AT-205 Reseal

Now I have not used this stuff yet, nor have I had to, but I came across the stuff a while ago and wanted some opinions from you guys. I am already expecting the "snake oil" comments and such. Anyway, the product is called ATP AT-205 Reseal, and apparently works wonders on small oil leaks. Have any of you guys ever heard of or used this stuff before? Specifically in the Ecotec? Just asking out of curiosity, is all.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:22 AM

has some pretty good reviews...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-at205
Old 05-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Yes. I read this whole thing about it being harmful to plastic, Teflon and what have you, but I just spoke to a rep on the phone who stated that he knew the exact thread that I was referring to on bobistheoilguy and he stated that it is a myth that was misinformed the years ago that thread was made. He said the only time it could cause a worse leak than what you have is if the gasket was so severely torn or ripped and hardened that way when it is rejuvenated it could let more seepage by. I was thinking about trying it. I have a waterfall type of leak that culminated on the bottom of the oil pan; seems to be coming from above the pan and doesn't look like the typical oil sender leak that people here have had. It is so insignificant that I lose less than half a quart every 10,000 miles. Just figured id look into this stuff and see if anyone here has had success. no one likes an oily oil pan! just an eye sore, is all. And hey, if this stuff can rejuvenate rubber without over saturating it then I am all for it. Seems like a legitimate product! They also manufacture transmission parts, so I sure they wouldn't sell something that would be harmful to either a transmission or engine.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:55 PM

IN general, that type of product works by swelling the rubber. That is fine; until you change your oil and don't use it again. The rubber tends to go back to it's former shape with a vengeance, thus causing new leaks.

I have never even seen that product and don't know any specifics.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:39 AM

Aparently the formulation this stuff uses does not swell/overswell the gaskets it merely gives them their elasticity back, returning them to their original shape. The rep told me that if the product comes into contact with a healthy gasket it will not modify the gasket in any way, but rejuvenate hardened gaskets. It is designed as a one time use treatment (apparent), and the bottle even says to consult professional help if the leak is not sealed withing 5 hours of run time. It is a clear liquid with the consistency of water. Main ingredient is Glycol Ether. People seem to have some success with it, based on reviews.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Snake Oil! An elixir for the feeble of mind, and short on wrenches! A tonic to address leaks on a very short term to allow time to sell the old heap!!
I've found sawdust will quiet down a noisy gearbox, but not for long!!
Old 05-02-2017, 09:20 AM

I would not be putting anti-freeze in my oil. It is a good lubricant though, it is in eye drops.

I think that chemical name is the same as ethylene glycol. May be wrong.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 AM

Apparently it is an "ether" of Ethylene Glycol.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:38 AM
Administrator

It's in a lotta things

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ether
Old 05-02-2017, 11:10 AM

Since it doesn't seal by swelling existing gaskets and seals, there is likely some property of it that "plugs" the leak or mixes with the oil to create a substance that plugs the leak. How else would it stop a leak?

Given the VVT system on our Ecotecs that use engine oil for activation, I would be concerned that it might plug some small passages or affect the VVT solenoids.

If I had an older car without VVT I might try it but personally I wouldn't in my HHR.

Steve

Quick Reply: Friendly experience with ATP AT-205 Reseal