Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

K&N Oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Aaron .....

I think you took my statement to an extreme.

For example, I simply meant that NOBODY can show an absolute difference in longevity of engine life....using Amsoil, Royal, Mobil 1 or an other synthetic oil (again for example). Bench and lab tests that "simulate" some type of wear are nice to compare and really work magic for marketing.....but they are not the real world. Real world testing generates principles that a steel ball does not duplicate. It's all just marketing...to sell the product...and they all do it. They choose the words carefully and mislead or evade the real issues.

The auto manufacturers run 100's of thousands to millions of miles of real world testing on engines and drive trains BEFORE they are introduced and continue to do so after introduction. If an oil or filter fault appeared during this time, would you not believe they made the correction before the vehicle was released to market.

Now understand, I'm not saying that any particular oil or filter is better than the other. I'm sure they are all fine products. But to spend $12 for a oil filter that will provide the same type duty/service as a $4 filter just does not make sense.....the same goes for oil. Pay $8 for a quart of synthetic when another synthetic can be purchased for $4.50 and provide the same service. I know, I know...you can give me examples of engine longevity to show some contrary reasoning. But I can provide the same kind of examples displaying the cheapest a$$hole$ in the world that will use WalMart oil and filters exclusively for 200,000-300,000 miles and not have any oil or filter related problems. I live among them here, but how can I argue with them when they display this type of use.

In my own case, I had a couple of vehicles that I purchased specifically for high mileage runs. I used bulk 30w Texaco and Fram filters for 191,000 miles and 209,000 miles (in a little under 4 years each) and NEVER experienced ANY engine or filter related repairs/problems. But these are examples....not real testing....with significant data and mileage accumulated.

I was long winded on this but my point simply is.......

If you buy an approved 5w-30 synthetic from any 2 providers and one is almost double the cost, I challenge anyone to display documented real evidence that an engine will last longer with the more expensive one (as long as generally accepted maintenance practices are followed). And I am speaking of regular consumer type use.

Besides, except for a couple of statements, I stated my opinion. Just like you or any other member of the HHR Forum.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 AM

My grandfather is an AMSOIL dealer, and since they don't make a filter for this application, he is told by the company to recommend a WIX filter. So, that is what I buy from him wholesale with the oil.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:08 AM

How many people actually keep thier vehicles long enuf to even think about longevity? Todays vehicles using stock factory supplies will go 200k AS LONG AS YOU MAINTAIN SCHEDULED SERVICING! So, other then my ball is bigger then yours, whats the point?
How many of you torture your vehicle enough to even make USE of the special blend oils?
Me personally, I'm lazy, I like oil that lasts a looooong time. I 've even used the biggest filters possible(or added remote double filters) to stem off changing them as often.(these little half pint filters just don't cut it in my book).I have one documentd run of 26k on an oil change(Mobile 1)on my 5.7 chevy truck.Though I must add 80% of the milage was hiway.Makes a BIG difference.Would never try that in city driving.Starting your vehicle is probably the worse case of abuse any vehicle will ever see(normally).Cold parts,no oil for several seconds,rapid temp changes.Alot of what happens in the engine depends on how it was built.Have rings not sealing?Your gonna be changing that oil alot!A tight engine will will keep clean oil for a long time.Is one filter better then another?Depends on what you want it to do.If you have a $20k motor,your going to run the best of the best because of that.A stock motor?An everyday off the shelf filter of your choice.I like Wix and Purolator mainly because Ive done some reading and these 2 stood out better then the rest AND they are priced right!.Fram?Used to claim more HP.How?By using a not so fine filter media,which allows oil to pass thru faster which helps unload the oil pump which helps increase HP.Not too bad if your racing at the strip and change your oil every week.But if your beating around town 5 minutes at a time,no way!I got brave once and tried a Deushe(?) oil filter..bad news, immediatly lost 10# oil pressure!They claimed the highest filtering media..sure, at the expense of pressure!In the trash after 20 miles.Funny,after trying every weight oil and alot of filters(Fram,Wix,Delco,Purolater,STP,Texoco,etc) and wiping out a new cam because of a bad lifter(flushed the block and kept going)that truck lived 279k miles and finally broke an aftermarket 1.6 rocket arm which folded a valve.The crank looked great!The cylinders were spotless( a paper thin edge on the bottom of cyl only)But the rings were gone,literally.The pistions hit the floor by them selves when the rods were unbolted from the crank.But no daylight smoke out the tail pipe.Point is,they ALL work to some degree or other.Just keep your oil changed regularly and use what ever blows your skirt up.If you insist on the best ,use it.If its a beater,cheap it! Whens the LAST time you've heard of a oil or filter causing engine damage that wasn't related to some stupidity?Think about it , and lets get back to making more HP!Then you'll have an excuse to run that $8 qt oil and $12 filter(which is really cheap self assurance).I like Amsoil..it doesn't coke up the Turbo's!( as for that, any syn oil will do the same, but Amsoil tends to run cooler, I believe that to mean less friction).2 cents