Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Lousey front rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 AM

Lousey front rotors

Hi all.

i just replaced the front brakes and rotors on the wife's 07. Turns out that the inner surface of the rotor wore down faster than the outer, and wore through the machined surface. The rougher surface wore the inner pad down faster and for some reason the squealer made no noise. She was a few days away from metal on metal.....
I had already purchased a set of rotors because she had a shimmy, but I had no idea they were that bad.
Hopefully the new ones last longer.

Just an fyi to anyone who is trusting the squealers to alert you to the need of new brakes.....
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 AM

You may want to make sure the pins are clean and lubed.

The rotor did not wear this way because they were poor they wore this way because they were not centered on the caliper and the inner pad dragged.

Either the caliper was hung up or the piston did not retract is the most common cause. The rotor is made our of the same metal all the way through and the outer metal is not different from the inner metal.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:55 AM

I just did my brakes, the inner pads were worn significantly more, movement on the pins seemed fine and placement looked good. Almost every car I see has inner pads wearing faster too. However theres an issue if the rotor is noticeably more worn and rough looking. Maybe the pads were contaminated and caused the problem.
Also one of my wear indicators was missing, they just clip on the pad, and not very securely.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:38 PM

The piston is on the inside and if it does not retract all the way the inside pad drags.

Just looking does not always catch it.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:29 PM

Yup and Ive not found a way to prevent that, regular lubing of the proper contact areas and slide pins doesnt seem to make the problem go away. Do you have any tips?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:25 PM

Pad drag is an indication that the rubber O-ring inside the caliper bore is bad. That O-ring is actually cut in a way that makes it the "return spring".

In other words: you need a caliper rebuild. Has nothing whatsoever to do with quality of the rotor.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Pad drag is an indication that the rubber O-ring inside the caliper bore is bad. That O-ring is actually cut in a way that makes it the "return spring".

In other words: you need a caliper rebuild. Has nothing whatsoever to do with quality of the rotor.
You beat me to it. Thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 PM

Well the float pins are hidden but move very freely when you try to move the caliper in and out. I will watch the wear of these new pads on the new rotors to see if they are not wearing evenly. They are the first pads I have put on since we bought it, so time will see if the calipers need replacing. Thanks though.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

IMO, anytime pads are replaced or just inspected, it's prudent to clean & re-lube the slide pins..

Cheap insurance.. My pads are wearing evenly..
Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 AM
Administrator

I clean the pads lube the contact points to the caliper and the slide pins every other oil change when I rotate the tires and adjust the rear brake shoes but my original pads did wear the inside pads first

Quick Reply: Lousey front rotors