Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Maintenance and pitfalls advice for a new owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:25 AM

Maintenance and pitfalls advice for a new owner

I bought a 2008 LT 2.4L last night, and I admit I have no idea how to take care of this vehicle, short of simply following the manufacturer's service schedule. I've driven a Ford pickup for the last 18 years, but at 325k miles on its odometer it was time to get a "new" daily driver and retire the pickup to being a project vehicle.

I did all the maintenance and repair on my pickup since I bought it new off the lot, so I'm no stranger to getting my hands dirty. But opening the hood of the HHR and seeing how little space there is in there to work, and how unfamiliar the engine looks, I'm worried I'll miss something. I've also never done any work on a front-wheel-drive vehicle, so throw that into the worry mix.

She's got 88k miles on her. I had her checked out by a mechanic, and on his recommendation I got the dealership to replace the front stabilizer bars and do a brake job and alignment before taking possession, but that's all the inspection found wrong. I'd like to get 150k more miles out of her if I can. I hope that's a reasonable expectation, since I'm used to driving a pickup that never once let me down.

Anyway, I ordered a Chilton's manual for the "new" car and I'm willing to learn, but I need to know if there are any real pitfalls or quirks to watch out with on this vehicle. I've been reading up for the last few days on it, but that's no substitution for the knowledge of people who actually drive and work on them

So, any hints or secrets that any of you have for me about this vehicle, I'd be grateful to hear.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 AM

If you want to do all of your own work, I would get the chevy factory service manual for the HHR. It will have everything you need to know. Also the HHR doesnt require "alot" of maintenance. So far just consumables and fluid changes.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 AM

I have an 06 with 120K+ miles on the car. Changing the oil on the HHR is the easiest car I have ever owned. I had the transmission fluid changed at a shop at 92K along with new brakes. Spark plugs are easy to get at once you remove the engine cover as is the air filter. The cabin filter is behind the glove box which is accessible once you pop out the glove box. I have had very little go wrong with my HHR. Once, a non start issue due to a dead battery and that is about it.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 AM

Thanks guys; I'll pick up the Chevy manual and hopefully between that and the Chilton's it will be fine.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Deceased

to the forum Talia, and congrats on your new ride!

Just to add to the replies you've already gotten, one of the biggest "frustration prevention" maintenance routines for HHR owners is getting into the habit of adjusting the rear brakes at every oil change or every 5,000 miles.

The automatic self adjusters on the rear drums just aren't up to the job, so here's a thread on adjusting the brakes for you.....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/proper-rear-drum-brake-adjustment-procedure-36754/

Even though the rears only give you about 30% of your braking, when they stop contributing, the fronts will rapidly begin to exhibit signs of overwork like juddering and premature wear.

Last edited by 843de; 09-25-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Can't spell today....
Old 09-25-2013, 12:15 PM

Good tip that I didn't know, thanks! An easy thing to do, if you know that you should do it.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, enjoy that '08 HHR and we are here for you if need be!!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome Talia

Here is a link you might find handy - it has some tips and hints for the site here, and lists out some of the more common issues/problems and the fixes we have documented on the forums:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/list-common-problems-questions-related-links-38985/

Have fun, and enjoy that HHR.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:55 PM

Im new to owning a 2011 HHR that I am using an average of 40k miles a year. My one complant is the 4T45E it does have a few issues that owners should be aware of. The # 1 issue I have is that the owner’s manual recommends that you can go 100,000 miles between transmission oil and filter changes. I don’t think this is the best advice and would recommend that you change the fluid and filter in your transmission every 30,000 miles .. It was mainly used behind the 3 – 3.5 liter V6 engines, although it did find its way behind a few four cylinder engines and our HHR's are one. There belief is that our 4 cyclinders are under working the trans and therefore can be serviced at longer intervals. Get a Haynes manual from your faverate autoparts store. I picked one up at autozone and it provides a lot of great information. This forum is just great!
Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah I read that same web page - GM's 100,000 mile call on the service schedule still makes sense considering the weight of the vehicle etc.. If you want to change it more frequently, feel free.

Quick Reply: Maintenance and pitfalls advice for a new owner