Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Miles between transmission fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Edi

Hi everybody, Some body has a video showing change of transmission fluid??
Thank you
Old 06-28-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Edi
Hi everybody, Some body has a video showing change of transmission fluid??
Thank you
Don't know about video, but if you search my posts "donbrew" I know that I posted directions sometime this year. You basically have to remove the trans. pan and get fluid all over the floor and your self, unless you are careful enough.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Had mine done at 50k, will do it again at 100k (less than 3k miles from now) and will continue to have it done every 50k.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 PM

So, I'm coming up on the 100,000 mile mark. I've never had the transmission fluid changed and so far so good (no issues). I'm going to have the tranny fluid done next week. My question is this, apparently there's a Huge difference between a tranny "flush" and a tranny fluid change. I'm going to have the fluid changed.Does it have to go back to the dealer or can I bring it to my local mechanic and have it done? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

im so scared doing this service...had a 1994 chevy astro van that the fluid was never changed on and had about 220,000kms on it when sold and the thing was still running strong...i too have heard horrors when changing this, but just not too sure on these newer cars.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 PM

I have always done the trans service on my cars when the tech manual says to do it. I take it down to the dealerships and have them do it. This way you know the right fluid is getting put in and you have a record if it. These new transmissions seem to be picky about what kind of fluid you put in them and from what I hear if you put in the wrong kind you will have issues. As far as the HHR I will go by what GM says. I think 50,000 is not bad considering it is for most every 2-3 years of driving. It is cheap insurance and piece of mind. Preventive maintenance will cost you but not as much in the long run if you do not.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 AM

When the time comes Ill take mine to the dealer! As for issue with a fluid change , The issues I have heard of come when you do a tranny flush and change on a high milage/never changed tranny..Had the fluid changed on my 12y/o Tracker at 50k no flush no problem! Can you go longer the the recommended service? Sure you can BUT IMO the Tranny fluid change is cheaper then a new Tranny :) Cheap insurance to change like engine oil.I would rather change too much for that piece of what little mind I have left :)
Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 AM

If you keep the tranny fluid fresh(scheduled changing)..flushing shouldnt be a problem..but if you or someone else put a zillion miles on the 'original' fluid then flushing could cause some problems as all the crud that collects is suddenly pushed thru the system and gets caught up in the valve body..servos..sensors..etc...
Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
If you keep the tranny fluid fresh(scheduled changing)..flushing shouldnt be a problem..but if you or someone else put a zillion miles on the 'original' fluid then flushing could cause some problems as all the crud that collects is suddenly pushed thru the system and gets caught up in the valve body..servos..sensors..etc...
You told it way better then I did lol..
Old 03-24-2013, 01:23 AM

Just finished changing the fluid, filter and gasket after 110k with the help of my mechanic and while scrolling through a tutorial I found here with my phone. It was pretty nasty in there. At 70k the Dealer said not to mess with it if it hadn't been flushed regularly. They apparently prefer to replace transmissions to dropping the pan. It was expensive between the parts and Dexron VI, maybe $150. But I sleep better. I'm going to stick to the severe schedule as my wife drives it like she stole it....

Quick Reply: Miles between transmission fluid change?