Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

? to owners that live in Heat in AZ about car batteries

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 05:44 PM

Yes,

The average life of a battery here in Sunny AZ.... 2 years. Also, outhere they go out without warning. One day good the next start no good.

Also, wiper blades wear out faster. Not from use :) but from the heat.

Mike
Old 08-16-2006, 06:19 PM

also the battery that comes in the hhr just does its job nothing more adding extra also with a stock battery and you're a jumpstart waiting to happen like me with two 12 just my 2 cents
Old 08-16-2006, 08:22 PM

Sold my 2000 Ford Ranger in 2005 (for the HHR), with 50k miles on it. Lived in the desert (120-degree heat in summer), for 2 1/2 of those years. When I sold it, the stock battery had plenty of life left in it.

Wife's 2001 Toyota RAV 4 - under same conditions, battery died at 60k miles.

Go figure.

When in doubt - replace your battery!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:24 PM

I've had more than a few batteries die over the years due to heat/humidity- or at least that's what the repair guys told me. Everyone from Pontiac to Toyota to Dodge to Sears Die Hards.
They just pro rate me the replacement and act like it happens everyday..
Old 08-16-2006, 10:11 PM

It's not the cost of replacing the the battery, since they usually die long before the warranty has expired, it's the possible inconvenience of having it die on you out in the boonies somewhere that bothers me.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:53 PM

This is from an article in the July/August issue of "Highroads", the AAA Magazine for Arizona. The topic is "What is the effect on a car battery's life in Arizona's heat"? Their answer was:
"The average life expectancy of a car battery in Arizona is 22 Months.
Regardless of the length of the warranty on your battery, if it has been in your car for longer than that, you are running on borrowed time.
Most car battery failures in Arizona happen without warning. You don't get the slow cranking, dim lights or other warning signs that you may notice in moderate or cold weather states. The battery just dies in most cases.
The only way you can know the condition of your car's battery is to have it tested. If your battery is over 22 months old, you should consider having it tested next time your car is in the shop for routine maintenance.
As for other maintenance issues due to Arizona's severe summer heat, you will notice that you go through rubber parts more quickly here in the desert.
Things like wiper blades, motor mounts, belts, hoses and tires just don't last as long in the severe heat and extreme dry conditions.
In addition to the heat, the dust tends to take a toll on air and cabin filters.
Both should be replaced annually for maximum benefit."

Speaking from my own experiences over the last 40 years in this area, AAA is right on the mark, (sorry to say), with this article.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:57 PM

We get lots of batteries in the shop off the big rigs. Some of them smell like rotten egges. Most of the time its from the heat killing one of the batt's and then the other three can't power the truck.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:08 PM

courthousedeb is quit right about heat related battery failure. The bulging is sulfation caused by excessive heat and is common here in Laughlin NV where summer temps exceed 115 degrees. Suggestion;buy a walmart 9 year warrenty/3 year replacement battery. Might not last three years but they will replace it.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wcorkey
courthousedeb is quit right about heat related battery failure. The bulging is sulfation caused by excessive heat and is common here in Laughlin NV where summer temps exceed 115 degrees. Suggestion;buy a walmart 9 year warrenty/3 year replacement battery. Might not last three years but they will replace it.
I wonder if these "Sealed" batteries have some sort of vent on them to relieve any pressure built up by this sulfation. I've wondered about this ever since one just cracked down the side a few years back on my '99 Sonoma. I think I'd just as soon have one with vented caps so I could keep an eye on the acid level.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:07 PM

Yep heat destroys batteries. Batteries that swell up after a couple of years is a common occurrence here in Southern Nevada(across the river from Arizona.
By the way cold lowers the power output but doesn't destroy the battery unless it is discharged and freezes.

Quick Reply: ? to owners that live in Heat in AZ about car batteries