Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Quick Clay Bar Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:49 PM

Quick Clay Bar Question

Ok, so I have a quick question. I'm clay barring my HHR (today and tomorrow...you know how much of a process that can be!). So, what exactly can I, and can't I clay? I know I can do windows...but do I do the bumpers and other plastic parts? How about weatherstripping? Should I be careful to not accidentally do something?

My biggest question right now is should I clay the bumpers, or the chrome trim? (Door handles, roof rails...)

Thanks! I'll just keep doing body panels until I get a few answers...
Old 04-03-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Ok, so I have a quick question. I'm clay barring my HHR (today and tomorrow...you know how much of a process that can be!). So, what exactly can I, and can't I clay? I know I can do windows...but do I do the bumpers and other plastic parts? How about weatherstripping? Should I be careful to not accidentally do something?

My biggest question right now is should I clay the bumpers, or the chrome trim? (Door handles, roof rails...)

Thanks! I'll just keep doing body panels until I get a few answers...
I clay barred my grill and door handles when I recently did mine. Came out a *little* shinier, but definitely didn't harm it. And if you're referring to the painted parts of the bumper, of course! As far as the weather stripping, I don't see the point. Clay barring is supposed to clean up all the junk before you polish and wax it, the idea being that light reflects off of a smooth, even surface better than one with all kinds of particles in it- the black plastic parts of the car don't reflect light, so I didn't do them...
Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the quick response! I didn't necessarily mean that I would do the weatherstripping, I just wanted to be sure that if I accidentally hit it it wouldn't do harm, sort of like how you get white marks on it when waxing if you touch it...

Thanks again!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the quick response! I didn't necessarily mean that I would do the weatherstripping, I just wanted to be sure that if I accidentally hit it it wouldn't do harm, sort of like how you get white marks on it when waxing if you touch it...

Thanks again!
No problem, that was just my experience, although I am by no means a "detail" master I ended up hitting the weather stripping too, and it was fine. I have used a product called Back-to-Black on the black plastic pieces on previous cars of mine with success, although like many detail things, you have to do it semi regularly.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by spirited driver
No problem, that was just my experience, although I am by no means a "detail" master I ended up hitting the weather stripping too, and it was fine. I have used a product called Back-to-Black on the black plastic pieces on previous cars of mine with success, although like many detail things, you have to do it semi regularly.
I've found that back to black seems to just "cover up" the stuff... Like if you hit it with wax and it leaves white residue, it will just cover it up, and you have to keep applying the back to black after every wash or two.... I'd rather something that actually clean it!
Old 04-04-2010, 01:53 PM

Ok...also, I'm very new to this concept that polish and wax are two different things. I would like to polish the HHR, then wax it...

Is Polish "Compound" the same thing?

The only thing I have that isn't wax is this:

But I didn't know what compound is. I have regular wax, caranuba wax, cleaner wax, but this is the only thing I have that is called "polish".

Will this work as the polish? Then I assume I should just use the good old fashioned regular wax after.... Right?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:43 AM

Ok...also, I'm very new to this concept that polish and wax are two different things. I would like to polish the HHR, then wax it...

Is Polish "Compound" the same thing?

The only thing I have that isn't wax is this:

But I didn't know what compound is. I have regular wax, caranuba wax, cleaner wax, but this is the only thing I have that is called "polish".

Will this work as the polish? Then I assume I should just use the good old fashioned regular wax after.... Right?
I think any product with the word "compound" would be too abrasive, and would remove too much of the clearcoat. Unless you have major staining, I would use a "cleaner wax," then finish with an abrasive-free paste wax.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:04 AM

I'm with you on this one...compound makes me think bad things. If you want to "polish" get the 2nd step of the Meguiar's 3 step. Excellent polish.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:52 AM

Well I used that product, didn't hurt anything....and it really does look shiny now.