Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Remote Start and duplicate key

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 03:36 AM

Remote Start and duplicate key

I recently acquired a 2011 Chevy hhr lt, 2.2 liter. It came with 1 key and no key fob. I was wondering how you might figure out if your car has remote start, so i know which key fob to purchase? The other question i had was how do you know if you have a chipped key or not? I need to get a duplicate key made, and don't know if it is chipped and if I'll need to have the key cloned. Thank you in advance for any help you guys might be able to give.

This is my key
Old 06-08-2019, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

The little circle with the + sign means it's a "chipped" key.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:13 AM

Thank you
Old 06-08-2019, 07:46 AM

Look here for info about the remote start, https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...ss-open-50492/

Look in the owner's manual, you will find info about a replacement key. If you have the correct code, AP3, you can get replacement key fobs. I did and reprogrammed my car to get it to recognize them.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, if you post a picture of the RPO list in the sticker inside the glove box , we’ll see what you have.
Remotes are available, as are chipped keys.
Dorman has them, available at most parts palaces.
But my question is, how are your enjoying the HHR?
We like pictures!
Old 06-08-2019, 09:11 AM
Technical Moderator

2011 model year remote start was not standard equipment and AP3 does not apply (doesn't mean the same thing) after 2009 MY.
The way to tell is to scroll through the "personal;ization" menu in the DIC, look for a remote start option. If you have the option you have remote start. Page 4-47 in the Owner Manual available via the link in my sig.

Even without remote start you have remote vehicle entry. (with a 3 button remote; panic + lock is the same as remote start, the circuit boards are identical))
Old 06-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Tammra Blaine
I recently acquired a 2011 Chevy hhr lt, 2.2 liter. It came with 1 key and no key fob. I was wondering how you might figure out if your car has remote start, so i know which key fob to purchase? The other question i had was how do you know if you have a chipped key or not? I need to get a duplicate key made, and don't know if it is chipped and if I'll need to have the key cloned. Thank you in advance for any help you guys might be able to give.

This is my key
And that is a new style chipped key, due to the small hole for the key ring. Old style has a long slot..
Old 06-10-2019, 02:03 PM

if you have the last 8 of your VIN I can look up the OEM # fob it came with
Old 06-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Technical Moderator

Technically it is the FCC registration number on the fob that matters. All of the fobs available for HHR will "work"; the only difference is the how many rubber buttons there are. The circuit boards inside are identical. The remote start button is simply a combination of "Lock + Panic" at the same time. This is true for GM branded remotes, if you get a knock off (with a LED on the circuit board) all bets are off.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Technically it is the FCC registration number on the fob that matters. All of the fobs available for HHR will "work"; the only difference is the how many rubber buttons there are. The circuit boards inside are identical. The remote start button is simply a combination of "Lock + Panic" at the same time. This is true for GM branded remotes, if you get a knock off (with a LED on the circuit board) all bets are off.
I came into dealers/fleet after the HHR had been retired, so I can't speak for their fobs. I supply OEM fobs to my entire national fleet, you're correct, FCC #s are the most important part. Not sure about the older GM fobs, but with the newer proximity remotes they aren't the be all and end all however. We have several fobs that we substitute when we are in a pinch (Ford and Kia come to mind) which do have different FCC#s but still work for each other.

Since the OP didn't have a fob to match up, I was only offering to look it up for his VIN, since I have access to the GM catalog. Makes it a little bit easier to find the correct one if you're going to go an aftermarket/ebay route.

Quick Reply: Remote Start and duplicate key