Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 AM

Shocks

Hello all my fellow Chevy experts ... I have a 2006 Chevy HHR an I need to replace the shocks .. Can anyone provide me with part numbers please?! Any and all info is appreciated!!!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:47 AM

What one do you have LS 1LT or 2LT???
Old 03-30-2013, 01:31 PM

Why would you only need the part number? If you want to buy the item, you go shopping and every counter person will qualify your vehicle (ask the questions: year make model engine trim level etc.) then provide you with price and availability.

How come nobody knows how to call a supplier anymore? Or, since you obviously can use the internets, use google, ebay or any other parts suppliers website.

When did it become easier to ask a bunch of shut ins for part numbers than ask someone that actually has a parts book in front of them?

Just a rant, not personal, because of a rash of this type of postings.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Deceased

The part number from Monroe/Tenneco is 5779, you can cross reference it with KYB, etc.

If you have a safe place to work, a decent socket wrench set, and about an hour of spare time....its a simple DIY deal.

Hope this helps, and if you have more questions, post them up...and make sure to check out the "Search" function in the toolbar at the top of the home page.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=donbrew;698701]Why would you only need the part number? If you want to buy the item, you go shopping and every counter person will qualify your vehicle (ask the questions: year make model engine trim level etc.) then provide you with price and availability.

How come nobody knows how to call a supplier anymore? Or, since you obviously can use the internets, use google, ebay or any other parts suppliers website.

When did it become easier to ask a bunch of shut ins for part numbers than ask someone that actually has a parts book in front of them?

Just a rant, not personal, because of a rash of this type of

Well obviously I am not shopping somewhere where there is a "counter" otherwise I wouldn't have asked ... Having a bad day?! Geez smile and be happy :)
Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 AM

So based on the responses I got maybe I should have been a bit more specific lol

@jay - It's a 06 HHR LT 2.4

@843 - thank you!! You've given helpful info to work with!!

@don - if you must know I am shopping online and need specific part number .. please if you're going to rant about this start your own thread :)

Like I said before ... Any and all info is very much appreciated!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

If it's the 1LT it should have the FE1 regular suspension. The 2LT will have the FE3 firmer suspension.
Unsure? Check the tag in the glovebox for the RPO codes. It will show either the FE1 or FE3 option code.
You will need to know the correct suspension you have to get the correct replacement shocks.
Also. Are you just asking about shocks? Or are you also going to replace the front struts?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 AM

Smile

Well, I searched Ebay for "hhr rear shocks" and came up with many listngs with part numbers, in just seconds.

Same at Amazon.

Advance online qualifies by your specific vehicle, then the listing will have part numbers, same with Zone and just about every large parts supplier. There are Apps for that,too.

Many manufacturers websites do the same thing.

There is also the old fashioned "telephone" every parts store has one answered by a counterman, whose job it is to answer questions, you do not have to drive to his store to get information.

Look at this as a tutorial on finding part numbers and parts, not an obnoxious old fart stealing your personal thread.
:banannadanc e:
Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 AM
Deceased

Aftermarket shocks and struts make no real distinction between LS and LT models, at least as far as shocks go. The main difference is in the spring rate (I.E. Stiffness), so the same shock will work on either the FE-1 or the FE-3 suspension, shocks just damp out oscillations in the suspension. That's why the Brits refer to them as "dampers", because that's what they do.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:35 PM

Just ordered from Amazon: Monroe Quick Struts 172179L - 172179R [hopefully they come with astirek * by the part number] $112.74 Rear Shocks Monroe 5779 Sensa-Trac $30.29 also you may want to consider 2 x Moog K750012 Sway Bar Link $23.44 All together $334.94 free shipping. Folks should either give you the help or push themselves away from the PC. hope this helps. 09 HHR LT

Quick Reply: Shocks