Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Spark plug thread chaser

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:21 AM
Banned

Spark plug thread chaser

Thoughts on using thread chaser on heads when replacing spark plugs?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by blacky
Thoughts on using thread chaser on heads when replacing spark plugs?
I would have to think that unless you suspect some sort of a thread problemcross thread, I hope not), then why..?? and, you'd have to be real careful not to drop and thread castings into the cylinder..............I've always used some anti-seize on the plug threads on all of my cars...maybe this, along with proper torque, have helped to avoid problems...
Old 08-25-2013, 09:52 AM

On iron heads, I use a chaser every time, to clean any rust or debris from the threads. On aluminum heads, I never use one. If the plug came out with no aluminum on the threads, then the steel threads of the replacement plug will do their own clean-up. If there are aluminum fragments on the pulled plug's threads, then I'd use a light and mirror (or borescope) to evaluate the damage (if/not significant). If minor, just use the new plug to do the work. That way, you would have the plug installed even if you felt a burr in the process. For major thread damage, a chaser wouldn't help. A threadsert might be needed to replace the damaged threads. I've replaced threads on the engine before, in the early 70's, but only on a VW Beetle, with side mounted heads that I vacuumed the drill debris from (I don't know if I'd try it on a Ecotec 4-valve engine though).
Old 08-25-2013, 10:26 AM

As other have said only if needed! But if you do use one coat the tap with grease to grab as many flakes as you can,, Make a turn remove wipe off, go alittle farther, remove wipe off till you do the whole thread hole,, do not twist hard , go slow, and always put a tiny bit of anti seize on the spark plug thread,, If cross threaded and you need a heli coil I would have a pro do it!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Banned

Very valuable and clear advice.

This is something I'll apply in all similar situations, and pass on to others.

Steel thread chasers in aluminum heads are generally not a good idea.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2013, 05:55 PM

I'm not exactly Android expert at using a helicoil bet I have used them many times and have never screwed one up, yet anyway.
I rarely ever use a thread chaser unless there is a problem when I remove the plep
Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 PM

Thread chasers are for damaged threads...and where critical torque is required,where any debris will change the readings.... anything else is just wearing out the threads unnecessarily and inviting h hardware to loosen up.