Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

strange issues after battery change, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
What RJ was getting at is where exactly did you connect the jumper cables? There have been a few unexplained failures by people who swear they did it right and more that did it wrong.
i connected to the terminal to left of fusebox and then the Positive bolt marked GRND directly behind the fusebox.

more than likely i did something wrong.

is there any emergency release button for the hatch. i wasn't even going to try jumping from the front, but at time didn't have choice.

i enjoy my hhr its just a pain in the ass to work on.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:21 PM

for what its worth, i still do have power steering. so no issue there. and wipers and a/c still work.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:42 PM

Your description of jump starting seems to be backwards, maybe a typo.

If you don't have an Owner Manual, there is a link in my sig still.
Here are a few pictures from it.
Attached Thumbnails strange issues after battery change, HELP!-liftgate.png   strange issues after battery change, HELP!-liftgate2.png   strange issues after battery change, HELP!-jump.png  
Old 07-24-2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by rainmanva
i connected to the terminal to left of fusebox and then the Positive bolt marked GRND directly behind the fusebox.

more than likely i did something wrong.

is there any emergency release button for the hatch. i wasn't even going to try jumping from the front, but at time didn't have choice.

i enjoy my hhr its just a pain in the ass to work on.
The manual hatch release is explained in the owners manual. If you don't have one, there is a link in donbrew's signature. EDIT: Don beat me to it!

If a fuse looks good, I swap it with a fuse of equal amperage from a system that is functioning properly, and see what happens.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:58 PM

Here are some diagrams that might help. The RAP relay on the BCM and a couple of fuses involved. The A connection on the right top goes to the 50 Amp fuse by the battery. The RDO fuse is #23 on the BCM.

This covers the radio, the chimes that come from the radio and the remote door locks, the TPMS runs through the RCDLR, the DRLs I think you are expecting to see when the trans is in park (they don't). But not the automatic and manual door locks. Does that cover the symptoms?
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2016, 07:25 PM

BTW, if your next question is "what and where is the BCM; it is the fuse box on the right lower side of the waterfall.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
BTW, if your next question is "what and where is the BCM; it is the fuse box on the right lower side of the waterfall.
fixed! i was pulling all the wrong fuses, pulled #23, and bam, blown! threw a spare in there, and everything came back to life! thanks again! i checked every fuse But #23 and it was the one. thanks again you saved me TONS OF MONEY!
Old 07-24-2016, 09:36 PM

Awesome!!
Old 07-24-2016, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Awesome!!
didn't realize one fuse was responsible for so much! wow! that little fuse controls alot of stuff.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:49 AM

I think auto makers, not just chevy, should make a switch or some sort of breaker that you switch OFF when changing batteries etc. turn switch off, disconnect battery etc, reconnect everything then TURN SWITCH ON, and start vehicle.
im thinking that the breaker/switch would absorb the jolt of power and therefore save other stuff (fuses etc). if i had known RDO mean't radio, i would have solved this fast. LOL. but thanks to donbrew for pointing it out, all is good now. thanks again everyone that chimed in. you saved me so much money!

Quick Reply: strange issues after battery change, HELP!