Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Transmission Fluid Change Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 10:24 PM

Transmission Fluid Change Parts?

So I'm getting all my parts ordered to do a "tune-up" type job on my 2008 Chevy HHR LS. The only thing I haven't been able to find on RockAuto is the OEM transmission filter and gasket, which is all I need for the transmission fluid change, right? If anyone could point me to those parts/part numbers, I'd appreciate it. Would rather not pay an arm and a leg from the dealer. I'd like to make it known that I am ordering ALL OEM parts because I know this car is picky about that and I just like the peace of mind I get when using OEM parts.

The car has ~108,000 miles and I don't know what maintenance has been done on it, so I'm just going to do the basics. Air filter, cabin filter, coolant flush, thermostat, transmission fluid change, oil/filter change with synthetic oil, spark plugs. Am I missing anything? Should I do anything else as preventative maintenance at that mileage?

I have attached a screenshot of my parts list so far.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

If you are following the Chevrolet Maintenance Schedule as per your owners manual, you will see that they only recommend a transmission fluid and filter change under Severe service. Otherwise they are sealed for life.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:19 AM

I do not trust that at all. Fluid breaks down over time, it's inevitable. Not changing your fluid is why transmissions start to slip and go bad. I doubt this transmission would last 200,000 miles without changing the fluid at least once.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:24 AM
Administrator

So long as it’s a drain change the filter and fill, you’ll be alright, but a flush is not recommended.
But why waste that transmission fluid.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Do as you wish then, GM is obviously wrong.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:21 AM

No, definitely not flushing it. Just a drain and fill. I'll do that two or three times over a couple weekends to get mostly new fluid in there.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:24 AM

They say that to protect their asses from a lawsuit. My old Toyota recommended transmission fluid changes every 75,000 miles. And Toyota is definitely a far better company than GM. No fluid is "lifetime" fluid. "Lifetime" in legal terms is just as long as the fluid lasts. It doesn't mean "forever."
Old 08-28-2018, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member

Hmmm. If that's your thinking and beliefs regarding automatic transmission fluid, then you better stock up on some brake fluid. You need to change the brake fluid more often than tranny fluid.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

I guess GM should be listening to Toyota then, and learning how to do it right, being Toyota is a far better company.

I had a Volvo once and they recommended the spark plugs be changed every 12,000 miles or once a year ..........................
Old 08-28-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Hmmm. If that's your thinking and beliefs regarding automatic transmission fluid, then you better stock up on some brake fluid. You need to change the brake fluid more often than tranny fluid.
Regarding that, I actually just services the brake fluid in Gregg. Its original, with 236,000 miles on the ticker. Only slightly dirty, I was very shocked. Especially since alot of people swear by the once a year rule. Since the Transmission fluid is essentially just hydraulic fluid like brake fluid, I would presume it stays just as clean over the same interval. Without any exposure to the outside, I am wondering if the flush I had at 170,000 miles was really worth it.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change Parts?