Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Transmission Fluid Change Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=WilliamTell13;851005] I know this car is picky about that
Old 08-28-2018, 02:45 PM
Technical Moderator

I guess my 2 HHRs with over 300,000 miles each were just flukes. To be fair, I did change it at 250,000 on one of them. I do run extreme service, lots of idling, lots of stop then go, lot of high speed highway.

Go ahead and waste your money by picking which recommendations to follow. You obviously know more than GM does. If it was CYA don't you think they would go more often, not less? Toyota does not use Dexron VI, a synthetic spec.

It amazes me, the people that don't understand "eco" in the engine name. I bet you don't throw soda cans away.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:10 PM

Ok, I will swallow my pride and say you guys convinced me not to mess with the tranny. I've just seen other people on here talking about doing it and it seemed like it wouldn't hurt, as long as everything was done right. Did you notice the fluid being burnt at all at 250,000 or was it like new still?
Old 08-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Administrator

I changed mine at 250,000 kilometres, no burnt smell and not really dirty or discoloured.
I believe it was a waste of time , money and a false sense of security, I mean if you think of the old style automatic transmission like a Turbo Hydromatic 400 or a C6 Ford, I rarely changed those fluids and drive them far longer and under worse conditions.
My haulers were either a Big block Chevy or Ford 1ton dually towing a 48’ race car trailer with two or three cars and spare parts.
So the point of the HHR transmission sealed and only really needs attention if it’s leaking out fluid seems quite plausible, synthetic fluids can go along way .
I also think that these trucklets were not intended to be this popular with people who drive them , all kinds of miles for a decade, these were intended to be driven maybe 3 to 5 years then recycled.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:49 PM

I changed the fluid at 100k with no regrets.
The 2 magnets had quite an accumulation of metal stuck to them.
Besides cleaning the pan and magnets, it also gave me an opportunity to install a new filter and of course refresh the oil.
I don't know the micron rating of the filter, but I am happier knowing that there are less metal particles circulating around.
Hydraulic pumps always wear and the metal is always distributed, just the nature of the beast. Cleaner is always better.
I just did what makes me happy.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I changed mine at 250,000 kilometres, no burnt smell and not really dirty or discoloured.
I believe it was a waste of time , money and a false sense of security, I mean if you think of the old style automatic transmission like a Turbo Hydromatic 400 or a C6 Ford, I rarely changed those fluids and drive them far longer and under worse conditions.
My haulers were either a Big block Chevy or Ford 1ton dually towing a 48’ race car trailer with two or three cars and spare parts.
So the point of the HHR transmission sealed and only really needs attention if it’s leaking out fluid seems quite plausible, synthetic fluids can go along way .
I also think that these trucklets were not intended to be this popular with people who drive them , all kinds of miles for a decade, these were intended to be driven maybe 3 to 5 years then recycled.
Thanks for the reply. Puts my mind at a little more ease.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by tiapetra
I changed the fluid at 100k with no regrets.
The 2 magnets had quite an accumulation of metal stuck to them.
Besides cleaning the pan and magnets, it also gave me an opportunity to install a new filter and of course refresh the oil.
I don't know the micron rating of the filter, but I am happier knowing that there are less metal particles circulating around.
Hydraulic pumps always wear and the metal is always distributed, just the nature of the beast. Cleaner is always better.
I just did what makes me happy.
Thanks for the input. Now I'm thinking maybe I will check it sounds 150,000 miles, just to do one drain and fill, a filter change, clean up the pan and magnet, and put a new gasket on the pan and torque the bolts to spee to make sure there is, hopefully, no leaks.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
i have to add to this I never change the transmission fluid and I am at 260,000 and runs fine .. my motor gave out do to bent valves chain problems