Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Turn signals flash rapidly when engine is on

Old 03-17-2018, 03:49 PM

Turn signals flash rapidly when engine is on

Hello,
One of my rear turn signals went out for like the third time this year last week. I decided to go for LED replacements this time since the el cheapo bulbs keep dying on me.
I used
these bulbs these bulbs
and
these load resistors these load resistors
When I was installing them in the garage, they seemed to work fine, but then when I went to drive the vehicle the next day, they were rapid flashing! After looking at it, I discovered that it works normally when the engine is off �� then speeds up as soon as you start it. You can see a video of this happening here.
I'm using those cheap little clip connectors that came with the load resistors but they are making contact as the resistors get plenty hot after a drive (I just poked one of them like an idiot and burned myself). I have the resistors wired in parallel across the black and brown wires.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: some additional info
Vehicle is an '08 HHR 1LT
Old 03-17-2018, 04:00 PM

Yes those resistors will get hot. DON'T mount them to plastic. If anything make a mount out of thin aluminium for them. Get rid of the red scotch-locks and solder them.
The resistor is non directional. Meaning it doesn't matter which way you connect to the circuit.
Maybe you wired it wrong, here's a video:
How to Install Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights: 6 Steps (with Pictures)
Old 03-17-2018, 05:05 PM

Yeah, I just had them hooked up wrong. Found the answer buried here, you need to connect it to black and yellow/green. I've just used the scotch locks for now because it started to drizzle on me. I'll go back and solder things properly when weather improves. May go ahead and swap out some other bulbs for LEDs, I really like the way these look :)

On that note, is there an easy way to get the side paneling off in the rear of the vehicle? I imagine it might be a bit hard to solder things through those tiny access panels.