Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Typical Coolant Temps at stops/idle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 04:04 AM

Typical Coolant Temps at stops/idle?

So I noticed my coolant temp the other morning when I was sitting in the driveway. I had driven to my dentist appointment, and had gotten back and was sitting there in the driveway, HHR in park, and I happened to have my Coolant Temp displayed...It read 214 deg F.

I was pretty surprised at first because since I got my HHR (August 2009) it stays right around 180-190 deg F. So I've been watching my temp the last several days and while I'm driving it pretty consistently stays in the 180-190 range, but if I stop at a light, drive-thru or am just sitting there the temp will creep up.

So I'm curious are these temps that I'm seeing typical for just sitting still? Not sure how much difference it makes, but I have the 2.4L just in case... :)

I have about 84k miles on it now, so I had been previously wondering if I needed to have the coolant drained and filled or anything - although when I asked this at the original dealership I was taking it to they just kind of brushed me off and said I didn't need to worry about that yet.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:23 AM

At idle the only air that will blow through the radiator is when the fan come on. I'm unsure at just what temp that happens..maybe 220. I see temps at 210+ in the Florida summers at idle, but when driving it reads 192. I also have a 2.4L auto with about 92K miles on the clock.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
At idle the only air that will blow through the radiator is when the fan come on. I'm unsure at just what temp that happens..maybe 220. I see temps at 210+ in the Florida summers at idle, but when driving it reads 192. I also have a 2.4L auto with about 92K miles on the clock.
Being that this is a recent occurance I would not think outside temps will have this impact on the op even at idle.

My idle temps stay the same as running temps 185-194.

OP - I would check your coolant level and for any leaks. Temps getting hotter while at idle can be caused by too low of coolant which could let an air pocket effect the temp sensors readings or a faulty waterpump that is not circulating enough water to keep the engine cool. A leak in the system could also be letting air in the system when vacuum (inside the cooling system) is reduced while sitting at idle. When air mixes with coolant it heats it up. I am sure there are other possibilities too.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:45 PM

i see 194-205 while driving ... summer or winter
Old 12-21-2011, 07:16 PM

If your AC is on, the fan will run and your idle temps will remain constant. If your AC is off, at idle the fan is not running until the coolent temp reaches a threshold, in my 2007, 2.2 thats about 217 or so, then the fan starts and cools back down to something in the 180's.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jennybeeb
(snip)
I have about 84k miles on it now, so I had been previously wondering if I needed to have the coolant drained and filled or anything - although when I asked this at the original dealership I was taking it to they just kind of brushed me off and said I didn't need to worry about that yet.
Our HHRs' use DexCool* (orange) antifreeze, it is good for 5 years, or 100K miles.

So your '09 really does not need a drain & refill just yet.. The dealership wasn't BS'ing you.

This is in the owners manual also. fwiw.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Our HHRs' use DexCool* (orange) antifreeze, it is good for 5 years, or 100K miles.

So your '09 really does not need a drain & refill just yet.. The dealership wasn't BS'ing you.

This is in the owners manual also. fwiw.
Yeah I saw the Owner's Manual, it also has a note that mentions that it could need to be done sooner (50-75k if I remember correctly)...So that's why I was curious if maybe some would have had it done sooner than the 100k.

I saw 234 deg F sitting there the other night in the dealership parking lot when I dropped it off...I was sitting there in Park while I was filling out the night drop envelope, and thought that 234 seemed unusually high.

But then again, I know it runs around ~183 or so while I'm driving, but I can't remember in the past what the temps necessarily looked like when stopped/idle.

Sounds like maybe I need to check the level to see if that may be an issue.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

234*, Yes I would check the anti-freeze level in the overflow reservoir.

& then make sure the fan is kicking on when it gets that hot idling..

50K to 75K might be referring to the auto trans fluid ?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Deceased

Check out this thread on locating the coolant level markings, it can be difficult on the HHR due to the cramped under hood layout.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...=coolant+level

Running 234° at idle in this mild weather really suggest that you're either low on coolant, or you have a possible problem with your thermostat or cooling fan.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 AM

What does the temp needle say when the DIC reads 220 and above? The two systems use different sensors IIRC and if they are not in agreement then you could have a sensor issue.

Quick Reply: Typical Coolant Temps at stops/idle?