Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Washing Your HHR

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:12 PM

My HHR is white, and I live 1/2 a block from the beach. Fog, condensation, and varied morning to afternoon temps, undermine my weekly hand washings. Due to the wetness, dust collects overnight, and during my commute, Making a clean car look like dirty car overnight. I've found a good wax job (properly applied, of course) and the "as seen on TV" California Car Duster help keep my car clean with fewer washings and paint damage. I also use a janitorial foaming aerosol glass cleaner to keep the glass sparkling. Using the duster and keeping the glass clean, I've been able to keep washing to bi-weekly, with a good dusting, spot clean, and glass cleaning in between. BTW, I live in an apartment and park on the street So, my Baby is uncovered.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 11Oi!HHR
My HHR is white, and I live 1/2 a block from the beach. Fog, condensation, and varied morning to afternoon temps, undermine my weekly hand washings. Due to the wetness, dust collects overnight, and during my commute, Making a clean car look like dirty car overnight. I've found a good wax job (properly applied, of course) and the "as seen on TV" California Car Duster help keep my car clean with fewer washings and paint damage. I also use a janitorial foaming aerosol glass cleaner to keep the glass sparkling. Using the duster and keeping the glass clean, I've been able to keep washing to bi-weekly, with a good dusting, spot clean, and glass cleaning in between. BTW, I live in an apartment and park on the street So, my Baby is uncovered.
You have the first step right with wax. A good Carnuba paste like Mothers is a good base with several coats.

Next the California Duster is the right second step. Not much more to add other than it works.

Finally you need to get some good Micro Fiber towels. Get some large ones. Now you need to get a good detailer. I show a black car and daily drive a black SS HHR year round here in the snow belt. Adams detailer is great stuff.

I have used detailers from just about everyone Mothers, Meguires, you name it and Adams has been the best one for black under hot or cold conditions. It also works in direct sunlight better than just about any other detailer.

These are what it takes to keep the car clean. I also know in your area these would do a great job. Dust and direct sun are difficult to deal with there.

Note too Adams is my only glass cleaner too. I even use it for the house windows. Hmmm I wonder what it would taste like on my Corn Flakes LOL! [Just kidding]
Old 03-07-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I have used detailers from just about everyone Mothers, Meguires, you name it and Adams has been the best one for black under hot or cold conditions. It also works in direct sunlight better than just about any other detailer.
I generally use Meguires, but, I'll give Adams a shot. Mequires has an inconsistent "moisture" quality to it when applying. It does work well but hard to smooth out.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:19 PM

I generally use Meguires, but, I'll give Adams a shot. Mequires has an inconsistent "moisture" quality to it when applying. It does work well but hard to smooth out.
I used to use Slick Stuff from the Wax Shop till they were sold out to Turtle Wax. I then went to Mequires till a buddy let me try is Adams detailer. I used to have all sorts of issues at shows with the Meguires but it worked great in the Garage.

The Adams works well in the sun like my old Slick Stuff did. The only thing that takes some getting used too is the smell. I am sure some people like it but to me it smells what I would expect a New Orleans whore house would smell like. It is not bad just not what you would expect. I am more a Carnuba smell kind of guy LOL!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:36 PM

This is my first, and prolly last, Aero flat back car, just for this reason. lol anyone come up with a way to keep the rear end of the car looking clean? I have to wash it roughly atleast, once a week, cause its just so dirty. I have used waxes, and clay bars, but it just doesnt help. lol Any ideas, or solutions? :)
Old 05-04-2012, 03:04 PM

I use a California Duster on mine. I've had it for years and have used it on every car including black. As long as you have a good coat of wax on the car and make sure the duster is free of any grit it works great. And the dirtier the duster gets the better it works.

My HHR is Cardinal Red so one trip down the road and it's dusty.

http://www.californiacardusters.com/...carduster.html
Old 05-06-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by B.Diggity
This is my first, and prolly last, Aero flat back car, just for this reason. lol anyone come up with a way to keep the rear end of the car looking clean? I have to wash it roughly atleast, once a week, cause its just so dirty. I have used waxes, and clay bars, but it just doesnt help. lol Any ideas, or solutions? :)
I'm a professional detailer and work out of my HHR. It's a battle to keep it clean. I have actually opti-coated my HHR, which helps release dirt better. The opti-coat is like a 2nd clear coat except it's more scratch resistant and releases dirt and bugs better than your clear coat alone (even with a good wax or sealant). The rear end still gets dirty quickly though. All of the hatchback, small SUV vehicles are like that with the rear.

Opti-coat isn't something that I'd suggest a novice try to put on though.

In order to help keep it clean you may want to look into something like Optimum No Rinse. It's a rinseless wash product. I use it all the time and it can be diluted down to clay lube strength, quick detailer (IMO better than the Adams stuff), or put it in your wash bucket.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:05 PM

What works good to shine the honeycomb grill? Labor is not an issue, I just want it to shine like the rest of my car.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:06 AM

I have a white 2011 and life in Fresno. The air has alot dirt in it due to all the farming we have here. Keeping a car clean here is not hard as long as you keep up on it. I have been using Griots Garage products for 15 years and have not looked back. For the HHR and the wifes Camery all I do in use the Speedshine once a week and the spraywax once a month. I do go over both with the California car duster in between. Once a year I claybar and apply a coat of the one-step paint sealant with my 6" obital. I have not washed my HHR since I got it back in January.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 PM

Great Article! Thank you

Quick Reply: Washing Your HHR