Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

water pump timing chain replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:21 PM

water pump timing chain replacement

I'm not so sure this is the right forum for this topic but that has never stopped me yet,...

I just turned 188888 on the '06. It seems I have a coolant leak now. I looked all over and do not see the tell tail signs of the water pump leaking but I'm pretty sure it is.

From the few videos I've found on youtube {the best one is in German, I don't speak or really understand the language but the pictures are universal} anyway it looks to me that the best way to replace the water pump is to remove the engine.

I can do this even though it would take a long time and probably cost me a few bucks to build an A frame to pull the engine out of the body.

Once its out it really looks like a straight forward job. Yeah,... I know pulling an engine to change parts is a little extreme but the local dealer seems to think the job should cost around 1500.00 to do this job.

All I currently need is the water pump replaced but I figured since I'd be messing with the timing anyway I might as well do the chain and sprockets and all the tensioner things and be done with it all one time.

Now there are a few things I need to know and I'm betting someone on here knows the answers.

I've searched for the timing chain tensioner set and found some for what looks like a decent price on eBay. But they say they are for the 2.2 Ecotec engine one seller says they are for both the 2.2 and the 2.4. I don't want to spend money for parts that will not fit.

I did send one of the sellers an e-mail though eBay asking if the parts will for sure fit my 2.4 in my 2006 HHR and he sent back what I figure is a engrish reply saying "Yes! all parts are parts"

Also has anyone ever removed the engine from their HHR? How tough is it? Got any pictures?

If I do try to do this job I will do my best to make video and take pictures and not lose them between the camera and the computer this time.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Technical Moderator

You do not have to mess with the timing to change the water pump!!!!!!! You need the "special" Ecotec water pump tool. It holds the sprocket in position while the pump is R&Rd.

Check your PM for some help.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Deceased

Beat me too it again Don, what was it you said about the job, "3 hours and 2 beers" or "2 hours and 3 beers".

The most important thing is using/obtaining the proper tool to keep things locked into place during the job. These engines will not tolerate any reverse rotation, even the slightest bit.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:20 PM

I can see your point but since it would be much easier to replace the water pump with the engine out of the buggy and while it is out replace the timing chain and associated hardware.

I suppose since I have already ordered the special tool since none of the local auto parts seem to want to let me borrow one I may just put the new water pump in and just wait for the rest of the stuff to go belly up, which it no doubt will when the weather is at its worst.

I have since done a bunch more with my Googlefoo and it seems that everyone agrees it is much better to remove the engine and transmission from the bottom. I don't want to do that so I guess either I will pay the dealer of just fix the water pump and hope for the best.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Technical Moderator

If you are willing to pull the engine for a water pump, why not just do the water pump? You only have to do the first 1/4 of an engine pull to get to the pump. I almost did mine today, but ran out of spunk.

You also do not have to pull the engine for a timing chain, for both jobs you do need to remove the motor mount and jack the engine up a couple of inches.

I hope that you ordered the tool from Ebay, since you have time. I did not have time so I had to pay NAPA $50. But, I see they have gone up on the EBay now, too. $33-$40, used to be $20.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:05 AM

If it was me i would replace the chain too ,at that mileage yes and be done tearing into that engine .. Anyways piece of mind and your right there and cloyes makes a set which chevy used for factory time chain . I had mine done and i replaced the water pump too..my engine is a 2.2 not sure if the same for a 2.4 but to make sure call cloyes to find out ...
Old 10-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Technical Moderator

Did you check your Personal Messages Grizzly?
Step-by-step instructions could save you money and time.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Yes, I did check my PM and thank you.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:04 PM

Yup if you are going through all that trouble for the pump, might as well do it all. That's why gm sells a full kit with both chains and all the plastic guides. The small amount of extra time and money is well spent.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 PM

I still cant get a straight answer from anyone I have talked to about whither the timing chain water pump kit for the 2.2 will fit and work correctly in a 2.4 engine.

Quick Reply: water pump timing chain replacement