Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

What's Your Choice of Motor Oils

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Glad the issue has been resolved and YOU DO HAVE APPROVED DEXOS OIL INSTALLED.

I'm not sure item #3 on your post is accurate. There are, at least a couple other full synthetic oils that are approved....review the link for the list I posted (and that list is direct from GM).
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Glad the issue has been resolved and YOU DO HAVE APPROVED DEXOS OIL INSTALLED.

I'm not sure item #3 on your post is accurate. There are, at least a couple other full synthetic oils that are approved....review the link for the list I posted (and that list is direct from GM).
Thanks for catching that.

#3 is accurate but is worded improperly.

I was refering to the fact that of the Mobil 1 products out there now, only the regular Fully Synthetic 5w-30W version is Dexos approved.
I'll try to edit it so it makes more sense.

On Walmarts shelves today I found only 2 other products that qualified.

1. Pennzoil Synthetic Blend 5W-30W
2. Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W-30W

Not Valvoline
Not Castrol
Not Royal Purple

SF
Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Thanks for catching that.

#3 is accurate but is worded improperly.

I was refering to the fact that of the Mobil 1 products out there now, only the regular Fully Synthetic 5w-30W version is Dexos approved.

I'll try to edit it so it makes more sense.

On Walmarts shelves today I found only 2 other products that qualified.

1. Pennzoil Synthetic Blend 5W-30W

2. Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W-30W

Not Valvoline
Not Castrol
Not Royal Purple

SF

Now it appears you have it straight. I'll inject one more thought..........Mobil1 has 2 approved Dexos 5w-30 oils. The 'regular' full synthetic 5w-30 AND the Extended Performance 5w-30. You will notice the dexos symbols on both bottles, BUT NOT any other 5w-30, at this time.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 PM

Now it appears you have it straight. I'll inject one more thought..........Mobil1 has 2 approved Dexos 5w-30 oils. The 'regular' full synthetic 5w-30 AND the Extended Performance 5w-30. You will notice the dexos symbols on both bottles, BUT NOT any other 5w-30, at this time.
They didn't have the extended performance on the shelf today. I wonder if it has just recently been added to the Dexos product line.
About 6 months ago when I originally checked, I don't think it was approved at that time.
If thats the case then anybody purchasing the Extended Performance should check the label so they don't end up with old inventory.
Anyway, all that matters is that it is available today.

A "good chat" Snoopy... and others are benefitting from our research and knowledge.

SF
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for participating, Silverfox.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 PM

I see no one else has mentioned it. I use Amsoil Signature Series here. Suitable as a replacement for GM dexos1™ (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M)

Also where I buy my amsoil sells the US made AC Delco/ Hengst filters. That is all I will use when it comes to filters.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Oh and by the way, the Amsoil you have pictured CANNOT possible meet or exceed dexos specifications. Part of the specification is that it must be a 5w-30 oil.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 PM

Oh and by the way, the Amsoil you have pictured CANNOT possible meet or exceed dexos specifications. Part of the specification is that it must be a 5w-30 oil.
That is what it says on both the website and bottle. I see no reason to doubt it.
Also I have a 2009 not a 2011. So all I am required to meet or excede is GM6094M. Which it does.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Just looked at the Amsoil website..... It does NOT say on the 0-30 that it meets or exceeds dexos requirements (unless I missed it). http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx

5w-30 does, however. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx

But it does not meet dexos requirements. It says it is recommended for that application, WITH additives that exceed GM's sulfate requirements (and maybe that is more than acceptable to GM). Carefully worded marketing, so they do not infringe on GM's trademark. There are more requirements than the sulfate addition. And they have no way of really knowing if the oil meets or exceeds the requirement UNLESS oil samples are submitted.

I am not arguing the worth of the oil. Just the false statements.

Last edited by Snoopy; 10-02-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM

You are looking at the wrong oil.
It very clearly says in my post and in the large picture that it is the Signature Series 0w-30 oil not the standard synthetic. You looked up the wrong one. Re-read my post and look at the picture like you should have before you decided I was wrong. Do the right research before you post. Double check your facts before you post in an open forum anyone can read. Click my link below and you will see the right oil which is the one that I use.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/azo.aspx

Here is a quote from the above page that proves you wrong.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:0W-30 (AZO):*API SN (Resource Conserving), SM…; ILSAC GF-5, GF-4…; ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Ford WSS-M2C946-A, WSS-M2C929-A; Chrysler MS-6395; Suitable as a replacement for GM dexos1™ (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M)

I did my research before I ever put it in my car and before I posted here.
So NO FALSE STATEMENTS WERE MADE!

Quick Reply: What's Your Choice of Motor Oils