Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Wipers...who has replaced them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:42 PM

Wipers...who has replaced them?

And what did you replace the OEM wipers with? The OEM is a pretty sturdy wiper that is a bit stouter than some ICON's I bought tonight. The Icons look...well funny lol as they are thinner and not as beefy

How much are the OEM's to replace? Has anyone done this?

Goose
Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 AM

Although my factory ones are still working great, I have picked up a set of ICON's also, just not installed. I have been using ICON's for the past 3+ years on other cars and had great results with them. But since most new cars comes with a similiar "frameless" design and seem to work well. Lots of other companies also have them out now. But I can usually get at lest 3 times the life of the ICON's verses standard wipers. But the stocks on my HHR still work great and only just starting to smear some. But we also had a dry year last year.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:25 AM

replaced my fronts with Bosch blades. They were handy and mine were toast. Will probably take the time next time to find some Icons.

Can't figure out yet how to replace the rear wiper: the fronts have a little cover that pops up to expose the assembly. Anybody done the rear wiper yet?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 AM

Who is the OEM for the factory blades? They work really well for me and when I replace them I want to put the same back on.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 AM

I've had AutoZone house brand winter blades on mine this past winter, and they work suprisingly well for the cost.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:57 AM

Can't figure out yet how to replace the rear wiper: the fronts have a little cover that pops up to expose the assembly. Anybody done the rear wiper yet?[/QUOTE]

The rear just needs a wiper refill, however they are expensive at the dealer. To remove just bend the rubber blade in the middle and slide out. As I posted on another board I used the following refill from Advance Auto Parts:

The Trico "break to fit" wiper blade refill works great as an alternative for the dealer piece.Cut to match the existing blade and you are good to go. You get 2 refills for $6.98 but you can actually stretch it to 4 refills by reusing the metal vertebrae over again. Don't know how long the rubber will last but it is still better than $20+ bucks a pop at the dealer. It seems that Advance Auto Parts is the only place (at least in my area) that carries this brand,however they are available at Advance's website.

Trico Break to Fit Wiper Blade refills

#47-600
6mm Square claw
Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 PM

Replaced mine with Trico NeoForm blades. Work as well as the ICON at about half the price.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:49 PM

Did some searching...looks like the OE blades are Bosch also..Aerotwin?? I like the beefier look of that blade vs the Icon...although I have 37 dollars worth of Icon's in the back seat now lol...wonder if I can return them

How much is an OE blade at a dealer?

Goose
Old 03-28-2008, 02:08 PM

I'd be curious how any of these aftermarket blades do in the wind- especially the "thinner" ones. We all know that ALOT of wind buffets those blades. I wouldn't want anything that bounce around more than the stock ones do already.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:14 AM

The Wipers Are The Exact Same As The Trico Neoforms P/n 16-180. They Are Competively Priced Compared To The General Motors N (15.99) Each

Quick Reply: Wipers...who has replaced them?